[SOLVED] General Questions

Solution
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4770
RAM: 16GB
MB: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H
Windows 10 64 bit

You don't have to answer it all, if you know anything please let me know. Any answer will be appreciated, thanks in advance:

1. I noticed that the GPU makes more noise when it's on the first slot. What can be the reason for that?

2. For ^ this reason, I put it in another slot (I have only 2 options for such card). Is the perfomance decreased because of this or it's the same?

3. I have 16GB of RAM but only 1GB of VRAM. Can I somehow use that RAM to increase my VRAM, or in other words increase my GPU's perfomance?

4. Does playing heavy games with minimum requirements let's say 2GB of VRAM while I have only 1GB, can damage my GPU and should be...
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4770
RAM: 16GB
MB: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H
Windows 10 64 bit

You don't have to answer it all, if you know anything please let me know. Any answer will be appreciated, thanks in advance:

1. I noticed that the GPU makes more noise when it's on the first slot. What can be the reason for that?

2. For ^ this reason, I put it in another slot (I have only 2 options for such card). Is the perfomance decreased because of this or it's the same?

3. I have 16GB of RAM but only 1GB of VRAM. Can I somehow use that RAM to increase my VRAM, or in other words increase my GPU's perfomance?

4. Does playing heavy games with minimum requirements let's say 2GB of VRAM while I have only 1GB, can damage my GPU and should be avoided? They're completely playable and run smooth with low settings, but still 'demand' more than 1GB VRAM (usually ~1.5-2) because it shows that it uses let's say 1700/1000 VRAM (The right one is my VRAM, 1GB)

5. I saw some simple methods on the internet for increasing gaming perfomance, like setting them on High Perfomance through Graphics settings (it helped me with my integrated card, I don't know if it's still relevant now that I have dGpu). Or from Task Manager to set their priority to High.
Are these methods safe to use or can risk my PC at any way?

Thanks
1. It shouldn't, it might be how the sound bounces on the case.

2. It needs a more powerful GPU than that to see decreasing performance on the second pcie slot.

3.Using ram instead of vram is not increasing performance, it's actually decreasing it as the vram is much faster and when GPU needs to use more and swap to ram, everything is done at a slower pace.

4.No

5. Depends on the methods. Most are very safe, others that have to tamper with regedit, not so much.

Reactions: xUser2021
Solution
Dec 14, 2021
Thank you very much.
About 3, I didn't mean to use RAM instead of VRAM, but to lend some 'power' from the RAM to the VRAM to make its perfomance stronger. Is such thing possible?
I have only 1GB of VRAM and it's bad for most modern games, on the other hand I have 16GB of RAM which seems to be wasted at the moment..

Thank you very much.
About 3, I didn't mean to use RAM instead of VRAM, but to lend some 'power' from the RAM to the VRAM to make its perfomance stronger. Is such thing possible?
I have only 1GB of VRAM and it's bad for most modern games, on the other hand I have 16GB of RAM which seems to be wasted at the moment..
And I mistakenly said instead of. Any GPU that needs more vram than the one available, is borrowing from ram if possible. But as I told you that makes things worse as it decreases performance.

To summarize, you need a better GPU with more vram or you are going to have worse performance.
What the 3840 MB of Shared System Memory does? Does it mean I actually have more than 1GB VRAM or it helps in any way for gaming?
-What is Total Available Graphics Memory?
Your system has already allocated 3840MB of RAM to the GPU in case it needs more, that's why you were seeing 1700MB/1024.
The total available graphics memory is the 3840MB from ram plus 1024MB from VRAM. It's the max amount of memory the GPU can use which in no case makes it run better.
To make it more simple, is like a car having little trunk space and you add a trailer. The added space does not make the car faster, it only makes it able to carry more things, which makes it slower in the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: xUser2021