Question General upgrade from 1070

Jul 31, 2023
Hi all i need some advide on how upgrade and if i should be upgrading
here are my specs
GeForce GTX 1070 8gb
i5 6600 3.3GHz 3312Mhz 4core
H170 gaming M3 (MS-7978)
8ram

is kinda old pc so i was thinking on how i should upgrade, i don't have a specific budget but i don't want spend more than i need as responsable adult.
I play some game i don't really care about graphics but i like to have something that i can use for long time as these parts i have use them for loong time at the same time i don't want to over kill.
I think the mother board is still useable but if you have some idea please tell me.
so i want to upgrade the 1070 to maybe a 4070ti or 4060ti? Or maybe a 3070 is enough? AMD is a option too
a small upgrade to 16ram that's for sure.
and not sure about the i5 6600 i kinda want to upgrade it but i kinda feel like i don't really need it for play some game but will be a quality of life upgrade for sure.
My use mainly just some gaming and rarelly video editing.

So any idea?

Last edited:
What is the exact Model Number/brand of your PSU ?

What type of PC games do you usually play ? FPS, RPG, Strategy, SIM, E-sports, or only graphic demanding AAA games ?

What is your target screen resolution for gaming ? 1080p ?

The i5 6600 is obviously a bit low for today's standards/4 core CPU, but it really depends on what games you usually play. Mostly old, or new titles ? 8GB RAM is also a bit low (single stick or dual ?).

Are you currently satisfied with the performance of your PC ? Any specific reason to upgrade ?

Jul 31, 2023
What is the exact Model Number of your PSU ? Corsair RM750

What type of PC games do you usually play ? FPS, RPG, Strategy, E-sports, or only graphic demanding AAA games ?
Little of everything mainly TFT for that what i have is enough
the problem come with game i recently bought like Startroopers extermination

What is your target screen resolution for gaming ? 1080p ? 1920x1080x60 hertz but i will be moving soon so i will upgrade the screen few months later. my target will be i guess 3440 x 1440 x 144hz but i don't really care that much.

The i5 6600 is obviously a bit low for today's standards/4 core CPU, but it really depends on what games you usually play. Mostly old, or new titles ?
Mostly old but as said before if a new title come out and i really like it i will play it, the problem come with that.

Are you currently satisfied with the performance of your PC ? Any specific reason to upgrade ?
Recently i really want to play Remnant 2 and as you could tell it will run really bad with my set up so i decided it's time to make an upgrade and notice how slow is to do most of the stuff.

Last edited:
regarding cpu side of thing, this is what i would recommend:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13400 2.5 GHz 10-Core Processor ($207.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright FT120 82 CFM CPU Cooler ($36.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B760M GAMING X AX DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($48.97 @ Amazon)
Total: $443.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-07-31 07:59 EDT-0400

For the GPU, to play 3440 X 1440 144hz, i would look at 6950XT or the 7900GRE [would bite the bullet and get the 7900XT]

if you are ok with medium settings, the A770 16gb or the 6750XT as the minimum.

Last edited:
You have no effective cpu upgrade for your motherboard.

Try this simple test to see if your cpu can support a faster graphics card:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

A cpu upgrade is going to involve a motherboard upgrade also.

Do you have a budget?

The $443 list above would be reasonable.

At a lesser budget, look at the $140 I3-13100 which is about 2x as strong as your 6600.
It comes with a nice laminar flow stock cooler.
The I5-13400 also comes with a laminar flow cooler. No need for an aftermarket cooler.
I recently built using one, for a ITX system, and let me tell you.. it is quick.
FWIW: I3/i5/i7/i9 no longer indicate the number of cores and hyperthreading.
They now describe a general level of capability.

Buy a B760 DDR5 MATX motherboard. Probably <$150.
In the past, I have suggested a DDR4 base since performance was comparable and DDR4 ram and parts were cheaper.
Not so much today since the cost spread is now minimal.
Team elite has a 2 x 16gb DDR5 5200 kit for $67:

Your psu is a good one and can support a much stronger graphics card.
Here is a older chart that identifies possible graphics cards:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
An alternative would be to track down an i7-7700 or I7-7700k ($55-80) on the used market and get a DDR4-3200 2x8 GB kit. Not as good as upgrading to the i3-13100 or i5-13400, but it is cheap. You would also want a decent heatsink to go along with an i7.

PSU is quite good, so no qualms about dropping something bigger in.

RX6800 XT is priced quite reasonably in relation to an RTX4070. RTX4070 is more in line with the power requirements the 1070/1080 had, so if you like the heat output of your PC, that may be the better option in terms of efficiency. RX6800 is also an option for a little less.

Jul 31, 2023
Thanks for all the advice.
i have a Mars Gaming MCPU2 as heatsink old but still working well
from all your advice i get that i need to change everything but the PSU :ROFLMAO:
Yeah the CPU is not enough anymore thanks for advice on how testing it.
7900GRE, RX6800 XT, RTX4070 these will be my option for graphic card thanks again i'll wait the 7900GRE come out and decide.
all of you said that i5-13400 so is my main option right now.
can you send your ITX set up?
I didn't consider making a ITX before but at this point why not and i travel a lot will be usefull. the other option is buying a laptop with 3060ti using for some year and buy a full new pc later but if possible avoiding a laptop is better.
You have no effective cpu upgrade for your motherboard.

Try this simple test to see if your cpu can support a faster graphics card:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

A cpu upgrade is going to involve a motherboard upgrade also.

Do you have a budget?

The $443 list above would be reasonable.

At a lesser budget, look at the $140 I3-13100 which is about 2x as strong as your 6600.
It comes with a nice laminar flow stock cooler.
The I5-13400 also comes with a laminar flow cooler. No need for an aftermarket cooler.
I recently built using one, for a ITX system, and let me tell you.. it is quick.
FWIW: I3/i5/i7/i9 no longer indicate the number of cores and hyperthreading.
They now describe a general level of capability.

Buy a B760 DDR5 MATX motherboard. Probably <$150.
In the past, I have suggested a DDR4 base since performance was comparable and DDR4 ram and parts were cheaper.
Not so much today since the cost spread is now minimal.
Team elite has a 2 x 16gb DDR5 5200 kit for $67:

Your psu is a good one and can support a much stronger graphics card.
Here is a older chart that identifies possible graphics cards:

Last edited:
My case is a Lian-Li PC Q08 red. They are out of production.
TU-150 would be a good replacement.
CPU is i3-13100 with the stock laminar cooler.
As an amusing aside, I connected the cooler fan to the cpu pump header.
The fan of course spun up to the max but It was so quiet that I did not notice it.

Motherboard is a Asus ROG strix B760 I
Ram is 2 x 8gb team DDR5 4800
Samsung 950 PRO 512mb.
CPU-Z bench scores 3472, 689 single thread.
GPU is a EVGA GTX1050ti.

This is a secondary pc that I use for Civilization II.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I believe you are on the right track for an upgrade here.
Ultimately you are going to basically be building a whole new system and just carrying over your PSU, your storage, and hopefully your case as well.

While not as affordable as a 7000 series Intel, I would urge you to consider the newer 10 core or perhaps yester-year's AMD Ryzen 7 8 core and at least 16GB of RAM which you can upgrade further with another 16 in the not too distant future as a lot of modern game's minimum requirements become fatter with RAM, coupled with the higher RAM usage of newer out of the box Windows versions and any kind of multitasking you may like to do.

I would also say just go with the 40 series because the massive longterm benefits of DLSS 3.0 cannot be understated in regards to it keeping you from needing to upgrade the GPU at all for a much longer period of time.

The reason for the better CPU is ultimately so that if you ever do feel the need for an upgrade in the future like how you are needing one now, if the CPU is powerful enough now, it might be powerful enough in the future and all you may need to upgrade is just the GPU when the time comes.