Question General use monitor with great speakers--any recommendations?

cma6

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Looking for a computer monitor HDMI for general use (not gaming) with very good speakers as my Windows installation seems to recognize only the monitor sound.

I would argue there really isn't a thing as a monitor with "very good" speakers. They're all about as good as shoving audio out of your phone. However, a lot of monitors that output sound also include a 3.5mm jack so you can plug in speakers into the monitor.

However, I'm curious about why Windows isn't recognizing the audio chip in your computer. Can you list its specs as best you can and what you've already tried to fix this?

Reactions: cma6

cma6

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Hotaru:
Your assistance is greatly appreciated. I have Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. After the recent Windows 22H2 Feature update in mid 12/22, the only Sound that Device Manager lists as "plugged in" is for my old monitor NEC MultiSync EA224Wmi", so at least I have some very quiet sound. Also listed in Sound are SPDIF Out (Creative SBX-Fi) as "ready" and HDMI Out (Creative SBX-Fi) as "ready" but neither of those two produce any sound.
I tried installing Realtek sound, which I used in the past with good speakers. Though Realtek driver seems to complete installation, the Realtek service never shows up in Windows services--not a good sign. So I am reduced to using pathetic monitor sound, at least on my main system, which uses on old mobo: Gigabyte G1.ASSASSIN 2 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Ext ATX Motherboard