[SOLVED] General Wi-Fi Questions

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
I recently setup a Netgear Orbi RBK852 Wi-Fi 6 wireless system in my home. During the setup, it gave me the option to setup and enable a guest Wi-Fi network. Now, I understand that a guest Wi-Fi network can be used to allow guests to use my Wi-Fi system without having access to personal files and data or as an alternative method to have internet capable devices such as TVs, refrigerators, and coffee makers, which cannot have antivirus or anti-hacker programs installed, connect to the internet.

My questions are if I enable guest Wi-Fi on my RBK852, does that guest network take away some of the signal strength from my main network? Does enabling guest Wi-Fi slow down the speed on the main network or impact that network in any way?

If guest Wi-Fi does impact the main Wi-Fi network, I will disable guest Wi-Fi and re-enable it if I have guests who need Wi-Fi access.

Thanks.

Solution
I recently setup a Netgear Orbi RBK852 Wi-Fi 6 wireless system in my home. During the setup, it gave me the option to setup and enable a guest Wi-Fi network. Now, I understand that a guest Wi-Fi network can be used to allow guests to use my Wi-Fi system without having access to personal files and data or as an alternative method to have internet capable devices such as TVs, refrigerators, and coffee makers, which cannot have antivirus or anti-hacker programs installed, connect to the internet.

My questions are if I enable guest Wi-Fi on my RBK852, does that guest network take away some of the signal strength from my main network? Does enabling guest Wi-Fi slow down the speed on the main network or impact that network in any...

kanewolf

Titan

My questions are if I enable guest Wi-Fi on my RBK852, does that guest network take away some of the signal strength from my main network? Does enabling guest Wi-Fi slow down the speed on the main network or impact that network in any way?

If guest Wi-Fi does impact the main Wi-Fi network, I will disable guest Wi-Fi and re-enable it if I have guests who need Wi-Fi access.

Thanks.
I don't have experience with that hardware, but in general, guest network definition doesn't change primary WIFI. The same amount of WIFI traffic is generated wheter it is one SSID or two SSIDs. No change there. So it is just a question of how efficient the router is at handling the two networks. You can easily test.

Reactions: bill001g
Solution