News Generative Design and 3D Metal Printing Enhance CPU Cooling Performance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
No, didn't look at the first one, only read the second to find out what they did with the coolant. Running the oil pump after engine shut off makes sense if you have an electric oil pump instead of a conventional crank-driven one.
So that I don't have to spoon-feed you the whole article, you should probably have a look before replying again.

I will mention another claim it made, which is that these auxiliary pumps freewheel, during normal running. That suggests they're supplementary to a crank-driven pump.

Is this sort of maintenance typical, for water blocks?

Even with a more conventional design, the formation of biofilms or other buildup would hurt performance. Therefore, you'd probably always want to do that.

In theory you could take apart a CPU or GPU waterblock for cleaning, but then you'd have to replace all the seals and reseal it when you put it back together. As someone who's been running and building custom water loops for years now, I don't recommend anyone take apart a water block. I also don't recommend putting anything inside the plain distilled water except a small silver kill coil. Every time I've had to help someone who damaged a waterblock, it's because they put some stupid dye or fad additive into their loop. Usually with a "but someone on youtube / tiktok said I should do it" explanation.

Reactions: bit_user

USAFRet

Titan
Ah, and that's how you prevent microbial growth?

It amazes me that anything could grow in distilled water, but I guess the pipes & hoses aren't guaranteed to be perfectly clean.
It doesn't remain "distilled" forever.

Similar but totally different...
A pump sprayer of weed killer. Water and RoundUp(?)

Left for a few months over the winter.
Springtime, go to spray....nozzle is clogged.

Over the winter in the garage, something grew in there.

Life finds a way.

Ah, and that's how you prevent microbial growth?

It amazes me that anything could grow in distilled water, but I guess the pipes & hoses aren't guaranteed to be perfectly clean.

Distilled water is pure H2O but the hoses, fittings and other components will have micro-nutrients on them from fingers, all it then takes is energy in the form of heat and some random bacteria can grow. Silver is a very strong anti-microbial agent that's not very toxic to us humans.

There are two downsides to this, first is that it takes awhile for the silver molecules to build up in the water, it's not instant. Second is that free oxygen in the water can cause silver to form silver oxide, a blueish black coat that can build up whatever you have the silver at and it'll have to be cleaned every few years. You should be replacing the water and hoses every year or two anyway, so not a big deal. I handle this my scheduling my maintenance at the same time I do a platform upgrade, switching out the CPU / MB / GPU requires draining and rebuilding the loop, so good time to do cleaning / etc.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
You should be replacing the water and hoses every year or two anyway, so not a big deal. I handle this my scheduling my maintenance at the same time I do a platform upgrade, switching out the CPU / MB / GPU requires draining and rebuilding the loop, so good time to do cleaning / etc.
Yeah, water cooling definitely isn't for me. I have machines about a decade old that still run fine & have decent temps for my workloads. The most cooling maintenance I ever do is clean the dust filters on my cases, about once a year.

The thermal compound I use is Arctic Cooling MX-4, in case you're curious. I don't game or run extended compute workloads, BTW.