Generic 1000w or 500w evga white

wilsonjav

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016
I have to choose between a generic 1000w and 1 evga white 500w. In my country, more of this is super expensive, so... I have this options. I'm gonna pair it with i3 6100 and gtx 1060 3gb zotac mini, 16gb ram and 1 tb hdd. Which its better and why?

Solution
A GTX1060 needs only a 450w psu.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

Whatever you do, buy only a quality unit.

A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
If it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is...
Neither is really better, the generic 1000W probably cannot do half of what it is rated for, and the EVGA one is the bottom of the barrel PSU by EVGA. if you absolutely are stuck go with the EVGA one, but a power supply is not something that you want to go cheap on.

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
Hello.

What do you mean by generic? Any model number?

But if you are pairing it with an i3 and a low power card like the 1060, then the EVGA White is way more than good enough, and should be your first choice. EVGA have good warranties, and reputed reliability. Your system will not need more than 500W unless you plan on adding multiple video cards.

The 1000W generic is not recommended because you don't know the warranties, and it is too powerful for nothing. It also may be a reliability issue. I do not suggest any generic supply, especially if a quality one is available at the same price.

A GTX1060 needs only a 450w psu.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

Whatever you do, buy only a quality unit.

A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
If it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive. Do not buy one.

Preferably buy a tier 1 or 2 unit from a list such as this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
Seasonic is always good.

Solution