Generic Bluetooth adapter, drivers are not working properly (Code 43)

RoastedPeanut

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014
I have just installed a Generic Bluetooth adapter but the drivers are not working properly (Code 43). If I take the adapter out and plug it back into the USB port, the issue is fixed temporarily but as soon as I restart my computer it comes back. Unfortunately, there are no specific drivers for the item, Windows just installs some basic drivers from somewhere when I plug it in.

I am on Windows 8.1, this is the description device manager states: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

A request for the USB device descriptor failed.

I will be very grateful for any help/advice!

RoastedPeanut

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014

Thank you for your reply, but I would like to try and avoid a fresh reboot/install of Windows. I also updated all my drivers the other day to see if that was causing the problem but it made no difference. It seems to me that my device fails to load any drivers on boot for some unknown reason as device manager does show the device is recognised. Problem is, I can't load any drivers as the device is generic (It was bought from Poundland) and it came with no CD's/USB sticks to load any drivers. Microsoft Support were useless and tried to get me to sign up to a support plan by saying the issue could lead to BSOD's, I know too well it can't. Are there any other options that you can suggest that may work?

breakingfelony

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014
Have you went onto the device companies website to check if it is still compatible with windows 8/8.1. If you still have the installation disc there should be an option in the recovery section that allows you to refresh all of your PC drivers. But apart from that I cannot help anymore my friend and if my information has not worked I am sorry.

RoastedPeanut

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014

I do have the installation disc but its for Windows 8, and last year I upgraded to 8.1. If I refresh the drivers with the Windows 8 disc, will it work as I am 8.1 and will 8.1 go back to 8? Unfortunately, the item was a cheap generic brand, I think the brand was Signalex but I doubt they make drivers for cheap items. Would drivers for a Broadcom e.t.c. device work?

breakingfelony

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014
If you upgraded through windows 8 to 8.1 with the free update then it should work and not change your system but also it may not work. A Broadcom driver may work if they are built the same but I have to ask are you using a PC or a laptop?

RoastedPeanut

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014

I did upgrade with the free update, I am using a desktop PC.