Question Generic PSU with GTX 1050 on a Optiplex 3020

Nov 26, 2019
Can I put a GTX 1050 2 GB on my Optiplex 3020 (i3-4130)? I don't want to change the PSU, I want to save as much money as possible, if not, what graphics card do you recommend for my situation? (The PSU is 300W)

Being you want to keep the PSU......
If I were going to choose a GPU to try I would choose the 1050.
It gets all it's power from the PCIe slot and draws 75 watts max.
The only issue I see is...it might put you over the limit of the PSU.
....but I also think there's a good chance it won't.
You could add up all your loads to get an idea....but I think that trying it is the only way to know for sure.

Reactions: KioCV
Nov 26, 2019
That's what I will do, I found a GTX 1050 for $ 100, and also a GTX 750ti for $ 75, and I was thinking of buying the 750ti because it consumes a little less than the 1050. Don't know what to do ):

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Dell's PSUs have actually pretty good overall in the past several years. A 1050 plus an i3 isn't going to put much demand on a 300W PSU. There will be no problem with this.

Also, I don't know if the Dell is using a standard PSU, or some odd form factor, with the 8-pin motherboard connector instead of the 24-pin connector. If so, that might make upgrading the PSU simply impossible.

Springwood1

Commendable
Dec 12, 2019
I have watched a good Youtube video where a chap is successfully upgrading the stock 290W PSU to a 450W one. A 24pin to 8 pin ATX cable is required to conect PSU to motherboard. You can get these easy enough from ebay.

Reactions: King_V
Jan 7, 2020
I recently posted a topic on updating BIOS of a Dell Optiplex 3020 tower. I was using a Thermaltake 430 smart power supply and a 24 to 8 pin adapter advertised for use with the 3020. However, so here pushed back saying that would not work.

My video card is a GeForce 1050i.

Oddly enough it DOES work with a non standard PSU and I was powering the 3020 for well over a year until the stock hard drive, a seagate Video 3.5 ST 1000DVM002 sh*t the bed on me.

One issue I had is that when using the non stock PSU, I seem to not be able to update the BIOS, which was stuck at ver A02...the very first version.

I did the online chat with Dell support and using my service tag, they provided me a quote for $90 for a new standard PSU. Of course I was able to find a refurb on eBay for $15.99 and that should arrive today. I will test the BIOS and video card function with that PCU and report back later today.

Jan 7, 2020
Bios has absolutely nothing to do with psu. All a psu does is supply power.

Not from what I'm told, and particularly on a Dell Optiplex 3020 that supposedly "requires" their proprietary PSU. Using a third party PSU does not allow the mobo to automatically restart and it seems that also prevents the BIOS from being updated, possibly a missing status connection when using the adapter... but I will be able to prove / disprove this theory later today when the standard PSU arrives. I mistakenly recycled to old original.

bignastyid

Titan
Not from what I'm told, and particularly on a Dell Optiplex 3020 that supposedly "requires" their proprietary PSU. Using a third party PSU does not allow the mobo to automatically restart and it seems that also prevents the BIOS from being updated, possibly a missing status connection when using the adapter... but I will be able to prove / disprove this theory later today when the standard PSU arrives. I mistakenly recycled to old original.
I have never heard of this and I use to work for Dell. Some of their units(mainly small form factors) do use proprietary PSU connectors and those require an adapter but it should not affect the way the system operates.

Here's the adapter needed for an Optiplex 3020
https://www.amazon.com/Must-Have-Gadgets-Optiplex-Precision/dp/B01G84VCMG/

Reactions: mlxllc
Jan 7, 2020
I have never heard of this and I use to work for Dell. Some of their units(mainly small form factors) do use proprietary PSU connectors and those require an adapter but it should not affect the way the system operates.

Here's the adapter needed for an Optiplex 3020
https://www.amazon.com/Must-Have-Gadgets-Optiplex-Precision/dp/B01G84VCMG/

Yes, that is the adapter I have.
So, not to hijack this topic, but as long as you have Dell expertise, why would the BIOS not update or the PC not do an automatic reboot? When I do a reboot from Windows 10, the box shuts down, but never reboots...power stays on...I have to them press the power button to shut it off. Then, to reboot, I press the power button, it pops on for half a second, then turns off...then pressing the power button again it starts.

As far as the BIOS update, I use the F12 BIOS update option and put the .exe on a USB stick, select the file and hit start, but the progress bar never appears, the screen just goes blank. Feel free to check my thread topic at: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/dell-3020-cannot-update-bios.3562982/

There you can see what other "gurus" have recommended. Thanks for your Dell expertise and advice. BTW - this is a tower that uses the standard size PSU. MOBO specs in OP.

Jan 7, 2020
Well, as I stated, I do have my own thread and offered my apology and link to the other thread. It's just that this thread contains useful into to both threads since I am running a third party PSU in a Dell 3020 as well. smh

That said, you were right, there is no difference in operation with the generic or the third party PSU. I also find that so far, the 1050i works with the generic, but have not stress tested it.

UPDATE: The stock PSU seems to run fine and cool with the 1050i GPU at 100%. ..plus two hard drives and one CDROM connected.

Last edited: