[SOLVED] Generic thermal paste

blight_89

Prominent
Oct 15, 2018
Hello to all.

I have a question regarding thermal paste replacement. Yesterday I decided to clean my desktop PC, since I had noticed the fan speed going up considerably even with simple tasks like opening a video on Youtube or starting up Skype. Unfortunately I didn't think to record my CPU temperature at that time (my PC uses a Intel i3 4160 Haswell processor).

I opened up the PC and noticed it was really dusty, especially the CPU heat-sink (the stock Intel heat-sink that came with the CPU), so I took it out and cleaned it. The thermal paste was completely dried up (the PC was assembled in late 2015, store brought), so I knew I had to change the paste before re-assembling it.

With the whole lockdown thing going on in my country, I was only able to find a generic thermal paste at the supermarket, didn't even have a brand, it was just labeled ''CPU paste'' (made in China). I had never replaced thermal paste before so I'm really a beginner. Cleaned out the old paste with pure alcohol, made a small line in the middle and spread it around a bit with a card. Wasn't sure if this paste was electrically conductive, but it shouldn't be an issue due to how the MB has a big latch for the CPU, so there wasn't any way I could get the paste on the MB accidentally.

The PC now runs a lot quieter. And the temperatures are the following: when idle both cores average at about 36-37 degrees, when some load is put on it (like opening videos, running MS office) the temperature goes to about 45-50 celisus then returns to 37 quickly, and when under heavy load (using an RNG reporter program or video editing) it goes and stays at about 57-60 degrees.

My question is, are these temperatures normal? I know I shouldn't have spread the paste using a card but I was having trouble with the CPU heat-sink not lining up properly, so I figured it was the safest option short-term at least. I found a working online retailer that has Arctic MX-4, and was thinking of buying it. Or should I just stick with this generic paste? I'm just worried that my PC would break down/get damaged, since I now work from home and it's crucial for it to be running smoothly (there's no working PC repair shops either, so if my PC broke down I'd be in serious trouble).

What's the optimal method of applying thermal paste to an Intel processor like mine?

Solution
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000687.htm

I wouldn't say this temperature is too bad. Some processors actually can function well even above 80 degrees, bt yours doesn't reach even 70.

As for MX-4, yes, it's a very good one (probably the best possible worldwide). I use it and I feel very happy. You can put it instead, I guess it will not cost you the whole day and too many dollars. (mine was less than 13 dollars when I bought a very high quantity).

As for the method, what i do is similar to what you do, but what I strive to do is to put almost equal amount onto the CPU surface. I use a toothpick, and the trick is to put as less as possible, but enough to cover fully the whole surface that has a contact with the cpu...

I wouldn't say this temperature is too bad. Some processors actually can function well even above 80 degrees, bt yours doesn't reach even 70.

As for MX-4, yes, it's a very good one (probably the best possible worldwide). I use it and I feel very happy. You can put it instead, I guess it will not cost you the whole day and too many dollars. (mine was less than 13 dollars when I bought a very high quantity).

As for the method, what i do is similar to what you do, but what I strive to do is to put almost equal amount onto the CPU surface. I use a toothpick, and the trick is to put as less as possible, but enough to cover fully the whole surface that has a contact with the cpu cooler's system. If it is a liittle excessive, it'd better be excessive in the center. With your little instrument you can both put more and put away some till it gets fine. You just have to find a balance - not too low & not more than needed.

Don't run for the method to put-just-one-ball of the paste in the middle. Such thing is much more for experienced users, who think they are damn-a-pro at this, but actually they don't do anything better than you and me at all, except for saving a few minutes of their long lives.

Reactions: blight_89
Solution

blight_89

Prominent
Oct 15, 2018

As for the method, what i do is similar to what you do, but what I strive to do is to put almost equal amount onto the CPU surface. I use a toothpick, and the trick is to put as less as possible, but enough to cover fully the whole surface that has a contact with the cpu cooler's system. If it is a liittle excessive, it'd better be excessive in the center. With your little instrument you can both put more and put away some till it gets fine. You just have to find a balance - not too low & not more than needed.

Don't run for the method to put-just-one-ball of the paste in the middle. Such thing is much more for experienced users, who think they are damn-a-pro at this, but actually they don't do anything better than you and me at all, except for saving a few minutes of their long lives.

Thank you for the feedback :)

I decided I'm going to buy the Arctic MX4, I'd just feel safer knowing I have a quality product cooling my CPU. I'll also use some on my old PS3 fat, that should fix it up nicely.

As for the application method, I guess I'll just hope for the best, I could practice using the generic paste first but wiping it off is a chore in itself.