[SOLVED] Genesis Irid 300 and Be quiet! Dark rock pro 4

Mar 18, 2020
Hi guys,

Hope you're staying safe.

I've decided on buying a Dark rock pro 4 CPU cooler. The issue is - the case is a Genesis Irid 300. The maximum height is 163.mm, while the cooler's height is 162.8. Although it would apparently fit, would this be too close for comfort?

Thank you!

Solution
Definitely too close for comfort.
Some manufacturers don't post the exact height like be quiet! does, for example. They round up or down from the nearest tenth. I would allow at least 1mm of clearance...
If the Dark Rock Pro 4 is 162.8, then the chassis clearance should not be less than 164mm.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I've never heard of this case, but the dimensions you are giving are incredibly close, so don't be surprised if this isn't going to work.....you're saying there's 0.2mm clearance...do you feel comfortable with that? I don't know how accurate of a measurement this is, but even if it is correct from engineering documents, your case might have slight manufacturing differences which mean clearance is slightly different but within their quality assurance allowed variance.

Otherwise, I don't know if you'll get an exact answer...I have never heard of this case, so it might not be common enough for anyone to have enough input for you.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Definitely too close for comfort.
Some manufacturers don't post the exact height like be quiet! does, for example. They round up or down from the nearest tenth. I would allow at least 1mm of clearance...
If the Dark Rock Pro 4 is 162.8, then the chassis clearance should not be less than 164mm.

Solution
May 4, 2020
I’ve heard of Genesis Irid 300 Blue case, but I haven’t been able to see one for myself. I’ve checked it out once and I think the maximum CPU cooler size compatibility of 163mm quoted by the manufacturer justifies that you could certainly use the Dark rock Pro 4 CPU cooler.

I’m used to installing coolers that almost match the maximum rated space configuration of the case, so the 0.2mm spacing should be adequate. You should not face any problem in terms of performance and I enjoy playing all my favorite games just like this, so nothing to worry. You can carry on for sure!

Mar 18, 2020
Hi guys,

It might not be the best case (you can't even find it on pcpartpicker).

I'm using the same rationale that it should in theory fit but there's the risk of it not making it also :D

Do you find these cases with plastic side panels as overheating more than normal ones?

Thanks!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Do you find these cases with plastic side panels as overheating more than normal ones?
A metal side panel is best. Glass and acrylic - I've never seen a plastic side panel - are insulators of heat.
Gpu waste heat, for example, does not travel though glass and acrylic as easily as it does for metal, and thus it takes a little longer for heat to get out of the case.

I don't care for the side viewing window, but they're so deeply embedded in today's cases... there's a few models here and there that don't have the window - Fractal Design's Meshify C for example.

Mar 18, 2020
That's true ... it also doesn't really have any holes in it on the sides also to dissipate the heat ... a case change might be needed because it's a shame not to get advantage of such a good cpu cooler in my opinion

Mar 18, 2020
Hey guys,

I'm coming back on this with one idea.

As the height of the cpu cooler means the distance from the mobo to that acrylic lateral panel, if it's an issue of a few mm, can't that panel just be distanced a bit with some washers (i inderstand this is the name) to gain a bit more space?
Would this be a bad idea?

Thanks!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu cooler clearance is from the top of the cpu IHS to the side panel, not the motherboard.

I believe what you're suggesting is a bad idea though.
I trust be quiet's measurement of 162.8mm, but not that 163mm on the Genesis chassis. No one knows if it's exactly 163mm or not - some manufacturers round up/down.
Plus, as @rubix_1011 said earlier: "even if it is correct from engineering documents, your case might have slight manufacturing differences which mean clearance is slightly different but within their quality assurance allowed variance."

Still too risky, IMO.
If you need to go big air, then I suggest Noctua's NH-D15S(160mm), or Thermalright's Le Grand Macho RT(159mm).