Genius Intros $150 Speaker System for PC Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefScooter

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
So I need some advice here. My computer is on a desk against a wall. Behind me is nothing but open room (the room is a loft). My issue is with surround sound speaker setups, I just don't know what to do with the rear speakers! I had a set a while back that had stands, but this is rather clumsy, as the wires go across the ground and then up to my computer in some way. I have a wheeled office type chair, so rolling over the wires happens quite a bit, and I worry about damaging them. I got a plastic floor saving mat, but laying that across the wires still isn't ideal, and it's an eyesore regardless.

I suppose what I am asking is: what do you all do for mounting your rear speakers in your computer room?

ChiefScooter

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Wireless would work, if they can be found. And how do you power them? Still need wires, unless they are battery operated. I guess to do it right, the wires need ran in a conduit through the floor or ceiling... Too much work for my tastes, anyways. I did what amuffin suggested and got some nice headphones.

Still, sometimes I like to play my music high, and a nice surround setup would be nice for this. Ah well.

gorlacon

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
[citation][nom]emdea[/nom]these speakers are a joke "as low as 50hz" LMAO[/citation]

Agreed, what can you expect from "gaming speakers" though? Just get a pair of bookshelf speakers and a small 25w/ch amp. You can get both for about $85 if you shop online. Hell, you can even add a powered subwoofer for another $100 if you feel like it but it's not even necessary as most bookshelf speakers (even under $50/pair) can go down to 35-40hz comfortably.

4745454b

Titan
Yup. Pretty much a joke. I didn't see anything in there that made me think these were worth that much money. All 5.1 systems help you locate enemies, not just these. 6.5" sub down to 50hz? Yawn. My old z5300 for $200 new are better then this setup.

nino_z

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
[citation][nom]ChiefScooter[/nom]So I need some advice here. My computer is on a desk against a wall. Behind me is nothing but open room (the room is a loft). My issue is with surround sound speaker setups, I just don't know what to do with the rear speakers! I had a set a while back that had stands, but this is rather clumsy, as the wires go across the ground and then up to my computer in some way. I have a wheeled office type chair, so rolling over the wires happens quite a bit, and I worry about damaging them. I got a plastic floor saving mat, but laying that across the wires still isn't ideal, and it's an eyesore regardless.I suppose what I am asking is: what do you all do for mounting your rear speakers in your computer room?[/citation]

I have 5.1 in my room and this is how i solved the problem. First i went and bought audio cables. White ones - so they are not visible. I then mounted the proper entrance and exit after measuring the lenght i need. It's all quite easy but involves basic soldering. Once i did that i used them on the edges of my walls for the most invisible and confortable way (since the speaker cables are waaay too short). Then i mounted my speakers on the wall angles and voila - i now have badass 5.1 sound perfectly mounted. It will take about 3-5 hours of work so i did it on a sunday and it does help to have a buddy to help you with it. But it's totally worth it in the end.

ZakTheEvil

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
"speaker system that promises gameplay advantages in first-person shooters over your standard off-the-shelf solution"

Seriously?

"The 5.1 surround sound setup of the SW-G5.1 3500 gives gamers an advantage in first person shooter games by allowing them to pinpoint enemy locations by sound alone,"

So my JBL 5.1 system won't do that? Bummer :(

"providing 30 watts of "heart-thumping" bass as low as 50Hz"

OMFG! 30 watts? Down to 50Hz?!?

f-14

Distinguished
meh, i'll stick with my altec lansing ada 880's at least they have something covering the speakers to keep the dust and bugs and occasional flying object/tipped over can from puncturing them

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ChiefScooter[/nom]So I need some advice here. My computer is on a desk against a wall. Behind me is nothing but open room (the room is a loft). My issue is with surround sound speaker setups, I just don't know what to do with the rear speakers! I had a set a while back that had stands, but this is rather clumsy, as the wires go across the ground and then up to my computer in some way. I have a wheeled office type chair, so rolling over the wires happens quite a bit, and I worry about damaging them. I got a plastic floor saving mat, but laying that across the wires still isn't ideal, and it's an eyesore regardless.I suppose what I am asking is: what do you all do for mounting your rear speakers in your computer room?[/citation]

get long wires and run them around the room, paint the area of the wire that goes up to the speaker...

with that said, dont get surround sound speakers unless you are going to drop at least a grand on them, you will be much better served getting good 2.1 than getting 5.1 in retrospec, i would have gotten klipch 2.1 for 150 than my logitech 5.1 (apparently if i want to resell my speakers, they have shot up to about 1000$... no clue why)

decent headphones and good sound design will give you surround sound (black light retribution through sennheiser hd 555)

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
I'd take two decent speakers over six crumby speakers any day. As others have said, get yourself a pair of book shelf speakers and a no-frills two channel amplifier. Even though it's cheaper, it's in a different league in sound quality. And if you need more bass, then buy a sub. It's a piece of crap, but Amazon is selling a Polk sub for $80. There are definitely better subs out there, but it adds a good octave beneath most bookshelf speakers, which I think is worth it.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Ummm... shouldn't it be "chest-thumping" bass instead of "heart-thumping" If your heart isn't thumping, you're dead.... (although with 30 watts I'm not sure I agree with even that).

i8cookiemonster

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Wow, I'm impressed with the legit advice in the comments for this article, don't see that every day!
Good luck with the mounting of the rear speakers...wall mounting is the way to go if you can swing it and find a place to run the wire (even if it means more wire).

I also 100% agree that it's better to get a decent 2 channel setup that sounds really nice vs. a low quality 5.1 channel that sounds meh. Out of all of the components on your PC, the sound system is the least likely to get obsoleted (that and maybe your keyboard) so spend the money on it up front, you won't regret it and it'll still be rocking years later.

jdwii

Splendid
Got my self some Polk monitor 70's and a CS20 center with some monitor 30's in the back all i can say is this is true audio i use it for games and movies as well as music even though this setup cost around 800$ i'm gonna keep it for years.

If i was going to get a cheap system the lowest i'd go is some Monitor 30's and a cheap Amp and add a Sub later.

Check this site out if you want good audio for cheap and use Amazon for a cheap amp you can get a one for around 25-40$

http://stores.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-Direct

phump

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
If you are looking for high quality audio, avoid anything with a subwoofer. Look at something like Rokit or Polk. If that's too expensive, just go very cheap.

5.1:
- difficult to setup
- lower audio quality on cheaper models

5.1 headphones:
- IMO they don't work better (or as good) as good stereo ones. I never did notice the surround effect.

Audio card:
Don't buy great speakers for onboard sound. Conversely, don't pair a great sound card with low-end speakers.

*Bottom line:
Unless you can spend the money on a quality 5.1 setup, good sound card AND have the ability to place these without issue it's simply best to invest in the best quality 2.0/2.1 system you can afford.

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
[citation][nom]i8cookiemonster[/nom]Wow, I'm impressed with the legit advice in the comments for this article, don't see that every day![/citation]

Because it wasn't suppose to! Comments in the news article should be about the news. There are proper ways to ask for advice, like opening a thread.

Nonetheless, good look to you asker.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom] in retrospec, i would have gotten klipch 2.1 for 150 than my logitech 5.1 [/citation]I've got a 2.1 Klipsch setup I've had for many years. Very good sound, and it has been absolutely rock solid. I love it and would recommend it to anyone.[citation][nom]photonboy[/nom]Bottom line:Unless you can spend the money on a quality 5.1 setup, good sound card AND have the ability to place these without issue it's simply best to invest in the best quality 2.0/2.1 system you can afford.[/citation]Agreed! A decent sound card and a good 2.1 speaker setup isn't too pricey, and will sound much better than the same amount of cash being used on a cheesy 5.1 setup. A really NICE surround setup is great if you have the space and the money - at least in theory. Depending on what kind of space you're setting them up in, sometimes you're still better off with a simple 2.1 setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.