xxenclavexx

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
My dad was going to buy a new Computer from Dell yesterday. He kept telling me he wanted a Conroe.

So before he makes his purchase I glance at the shopping cart, he configured a computer with the Pent 840 D!

It took me like ten minutes minutes to convince him that he was not picking up the same chip all his peers at work were drooling over.

people see pentium D and assume Core2Duo.

thats why the people at intel are marketing Geniuses

xxenclavexx

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
...and this is Intel's fault because...???

Did I ever say that this was intels fault. Does it say that in my thread??? You know what? Its your fault. Yea thats right I just made it your fault.

All the post said was that Intel had a very good marketing technique. Is that ok buddy?

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
...and this is Intel's fault because...???

Did I ever say that this was intels fault. Does it say that in my thread??? You know what? Its your fault. Yea thats right I just made it your fault.

All the post said was that Intel had a very good marketing technique. Is that ok buddy?

Because your dad doesn't know the difference between a Core 2 Duo and a P4 it's Intel's problem? You said it was "Genius marketing at Intel" which insinuates that you think their marketing is crap and you think it's their fault. You put your foot in your mouth. Just deal with it.

Synergy6

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
The "..." does rather infer sarcasm/irony. Therefore, in pointing out this really had nothing to do with Intel, just your dad's mistake, is there really a point? I'm sure when the Ipod came out some people bought el cheapo players just to get on the MP3 bandwagon, but it's not Apple's problem.
Synergy6

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
The real trickery is that people get 'core 2 duo' and 'core duo' confused.... Commoners don't know their is a major difference between them.... Intel did that on purpose....

And lets not forget the pentiumHT - which came after AMD's HT(Hyper Transport) technology.... Intel also did that to confuse people....

My dad was going to buy a new Computer from Dell yesterday. He kept telling me he wanted a Conroe.

So before he makes his purchase I glance at the shopping cart, he configured a computer with the Pent 840 D!

It took me like ten minutes minutes to convince him that he was not picking up the same chip all his peers at work were drooling over.

people see pentium D and assume Core2Duo.

thats why the people at intel are marketing Geniuses

8O

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
The real trickery is that people get 'core 2 duo' and 'core duo' confused.... They don't know their is a major difference between them.... Intel did that on purpose....

Perhaps. But you need to look at it from a brand point of view. Having two similar names builds up recognition for both products.

Synergy6

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
The real trickery is that people get 'core 2 duo' and 'core duo' confused.... They don't know their is a major difference between them.... Intel did that on purpose....

Yes, the dirty capitalist pigs. Sony and their PS2, Intel again with the P2/3/4, game developers and their "[Name here] 2" sequels. Double damn to Squaresoft and Final Fantasy... up to 11 and 12 now.

Damn all these companies for not anticipating that customers can't tell the difference between numbers and not numbers.

Synergy6

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006

Yes, the dirty capitalist pigs. Sony and their PS2, Intel again with the P2/3/4, game developers and their "[Name here] 2" sequels. Double damn to Squaresoft and Final Fantasy... up to 11 and 12 now.

Damn all these companies for not anticipating that customers can't tell the difference between numbers and not numbers.

Synergy6

I tried to say that above but failed miserably :p

xxenclavexx

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Because your dad doesn't know the difference between a Core 2 Duo and a P4 it's Intel's problem?

I never said this. You assumed this. And as a side note, Manufacturers do have a responsibility to the consumer.

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006

Synergy6

Not the same thing.... People have been automatically thinking pentium for years now, so when their buddy tells them get one of those new 'core chips'(their buddy meant core 2) - they don't know their are 2 different cores.... YET.... Yes they will figure it out by core 3....

Another way for me to say this is:
they came out with 'core' & 'core 2' so close together - people don't know there are 2 models....

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Because your dad doesn't know the difference between a Core 2 Duo and a P4 it's Intel's problem?

I never said this. You assumed this. And as a side note, Manufacturers do have a responsibility to the consumer.

Responsibility??

Dear Porsche,

I bought an 80's Porsche 944 and thought it'd be as fast as a brand new 911 Turbo. Please give me a brand new 911 Turbo so my dreams can be fulfilled.

Yours sincerely

Some Vaginal Noob

xxenclavexx

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Responsibility??

Dear Porsche,

I bought an 80's Porsche 944 and thought it'd be as fast as a brand new 911 Turbo. Please give me a brand new 911 Turbo so my dreams can be fulfilled.

Yours sincerely

Some Vaginal Noob

Dear GM

I got into a car accident because your cars brakes locked up on the freeway

I will be suing you shortly and you will be paying me money.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Responsibility??

Dear Porsche,

Yours sincerely

Some Vaginal Noob

Dear GM

I got into a car accident because your cars brakes locked up on the freeway

I will be suing you shortly and you will be paying me money.

Yes..... because GM did something wrong. Neither Porsche (nor Intel for that matter) have done anything wrong and don't owe you squat.

Why do people always blame someone else for their problems??????

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006

Synergy6

Not the same thing.... People have been automatically thinking pentium for years now, so when their buddy tells them get one of those new 'core chips'(their buddy meant core 2) - they don't know their are 2 different cores.... YET.... Yes they will figure it out by core 3....

If someone doesn't know the different between a Preshott and a Core2 Duo then they're hardly going to realise the difference after they buy a prebuilt system with a nice shiney new XP install. It's going to be a fast rig.

It's not like the jump between a Playstation 1 and Playstation 2. To most people it's not a difference they can see.

Lomax

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
I have been watching these forums for about a year now but have never felt the urge to get involved, until now!! The reason I have not got involved is because the vast majority of threads end up in arguments with people just flaming each other and basically getting nowhere. The reason for this, as far as I am concerned, is rude, ignorant halfwits like bixplus and 306maxi. Not only do you completely miss the point of the thread but the third post is slagging off the original poster's father. Where the f**k do you people get off?? Personally, the likes of you should be banned until you have the courtesy to respond with some degree of respect for others. I would suggest that if you have nothing constructive to say then just shut the f**k up as people are not interested in your ignorance and blatant stupidity.

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006

Synergy6

If someone doesn't know the different between a Preshott and a Core2 Duo then they're hardly going to realise the difference after they buy a prebuilt system with a nice shiney new XP install. It's going to be a fast rig.

It's not like the jump between a Playstation 1 and Playstation 2. To most people it's not a difference they can see.

good point!!!!
But they may overpay for a core1 - thinking it is the hot chip their buddy told them about.... So it is still sneaky to come out with 2 core models so close together time wise....

ps. isn't a core1 really a pentium with another name?

Synergy6

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005

Another way for me to say this is:
they came out with 'core' & 'core 2' so close together - people don't know there are 2 models....

Yes. So they should have a) NOT released a processor so soon that turned the market on its head by making a $999 CPU worth about $180 or b) thrown away the brand they're trying to create. When the P2 came out, did you whine about how close it was to "Pentium"? Or how close the "AMD 4200+ 939 X2 CPU Retail w/ Fan" sounds to the "AMD 4200+ AM2 X2 CPU Retail w/ Fan", even though if you buy the wrong one it probably won't fit your motherboard?

I subscribe to the "Natural selection by removing 90% of safety labels" philosophy. If your dad tried to buy a "Core2Duo" by buying something with "Pentium D" written on it... there's a lizard waiting.

Synergy6

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I have been watching these forums for about a year now but have never felt the urge to get involved, until now!! The reason I have not got involved is because the vast majority of threads end up in arguments with people just flaming each other and basically getting nowhere. The reason for this, as far as I am concerned, is rude, ignorant halfwits like bixplus and 306maxi. Not only do you completely miss the point of the thread but the third post is slagging off the original poster's father. Where the f**k do you people get off?? Personally, the likes of you should be banned until you have the courtesy to respond with some degree of respect for others. I would suggest that if you have nothing constructive to say then just shut the f**k up as people are not interested in your ignorance and blatant stupidity.

Granted that calling his father an "idiot" was harsh. But this guy is blaming Intel for something that's not their doing. What is the point of the thread if not to somehow insinuate that Intel are being deceptive.

If the posted said "Hey look here's an amusing story about my dad getting confused between two different generations of CPU" that would be fine. But he didn't. It's like using the Porsche example I gave. The responsibility lays mostly with a customer unless the manufacturer is deceptive in some way.

This sort of experience is exactly why you have HP, Compaq, Dell and the rest building PC's so that people generally get what they want as opposed to ordering parts over the internet and making a wrong choice based on misinformation.

Synergy6

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005

Harsh? Yes. True? Yes. If somebody wanted to buy a Porsche Carrera GT, to touch on an earlier example, and came away with a Porsche Boxster due to ignorance, I would not walk up to them and call them a moronic idiot. That doesn't change the fact that.. they are pretty idiotic.

I mean, I could *kinda* understand mixing up CoreDuo and Core2Duo, but Core2Duo and PentiumD? No sympathy here.
Synergy6

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
and how would you put a Core 1 in a desktop system?

Don't get your point? We are talking about people that buy complete systems, and are not as knowlegeable as us....

PC Laptops will soon have Core 1 & core 2....
Apple put the Core 1 in desktops for them....