It is my turn and I turn my enchated swamp into Genju of the Fens am I
allowed to attack with the Genju even though it was not a creature at
the beginning of my turn. (The land has been enchanted for a couple of
turns).

anthonytjea@gmail.com sent:
> It is my turn and I turn my enchated swamp into Genju of the Fens am I
> allowed to attack with the Genju even though it was not a creature at
> the beginning of my turn. (The land has been enchanted for a couple of
> turns).

Short answer: Yes.

Explanation: The phenomenon you're talking about, "summoning sickness"
or "lag" or whatever the popular term is in your part of the world,
looks at whether that permanent has been continuously under your
control since the beginning of your most recent turn, regardless of any
changes to the permanent type.

So, with a Swamp that's been in play for a couple of turns already,
turning it into a creature the way you describe makes a creature that
can attack this turn. (note that you don't turn the Swamp into a
Genju, you use the Genju to turn the Swamp into a Spirit, and it's the
Swamp that attacks.)

If the swamp had been put into play, enchanted and then animated all in
one turn, then you'll get a Swamp that's a Spirit creature and which
can't attack, as it wasn't under your control at the beginning of that
turn.

--
-- zoe

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 anthonytjea@gmail.com wrote:

> It is my turn and I turn my enchated swamp into Genju of the Fens am I
> allowed to attack with the Genju even though it was not a creature at
> the beginning of my turn. (The land has been enchanted for a couple of
> turns).

What matters is when the Swamp came under your control. If you
controlled the Swamp since the beginning if your most recent turn (the
current one), you may attack with it when it becomes a creature.

--
David

Time to step up the meds; I could have sworn just said...
> It is my turn and I turn my enchated swamp into Genju of the Fens am I
> allowed to attack with the Genju even though it was not a creature at
> the beginning of my turn. (The land has been enchanted for a couple of
> turns).

It only matters whether that permanent was in play at the beginning of
your turn, not whether it was a creature at the time. (Otherwise the
Genju would be of very limited usefulness, as would other "man-lands"
going all the way back to Mishra's Factory.)

anthonytjea@gmail.com <anthonytjea@gmail.com> wrote:
>It is my turn and I turn my enchated swamp into Genju of the Fens am I
>allowed to attack with the Genju even though it was not a creature at
>the beginning of my turn. (The land has been enchanted for a couple of
>turns).

As long as you controlled the permanent since the beginning of your latest
turn, it's not "sick". And if it's a creature now, that means in general that
it can attack. (It has to be untapped, and not have Defender, and not be
otherwise prevented from attacking, of course.)

The rules about what a creature can do don't care -how long it's been a
creature-. They care -how long its current controller has had control of it-.

Dave