Genres in Music......confusing or no? Streaming services.

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
So I have been looking at my Spotify most played lists,artists,albums,etc. It goes from Elvis, Queen, Metallica, Rob Zombie,etc. That's the unimportant part.

What gets me is how they hype music up on there by genre. For instance, Godsmack seems to be pushing the "heavy metal" slogan still then I tried their new album (and no disrespect) but it isn't Metal, perhaps Pop-Rock? With a Gruffy voice? I dunno I think we're at a stage in all genres of music that its unfair for Spotify/Amazon/Apple to tell us what a band is to suck us in.

Also funny thing the drummer of the spoken band above (Godsmack) referenced outselling Metallica, whom I love/grew up with and think their new album is their "actual" return to the better version of themselves. Point of me brining that up, how does Rock and Metal fuse these days? I mean heck I read back a few months ago some ppl seriously claim Nickelback to be "somewhat Metal" whatever that means.....

Also I just turned 33...and am learning people don't understand how Elvis "created" Rock N' Roll. I think because they automically thought they had it figured out by British rock groups, whom learned from it very differently. You know...not really from Blues and Gospel/Country. Mixed in 1.

Lastly Rap....dang that genre has went so far down hill. Mostly because offensive things have changed, and to think when I was growing up Eminem would not have released more than 1 song, in total. lol.

This all said. I don't like to label music, on a day by day basis. I just listen to what gets me in the mood for w/e , gaming, letting out frustration,etc. I don't limit myself either, I guess because I'm a drummer IRL, and its fun to experiment musically. How about you?

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
you're right. they're advertsising for nu-metal bands , they wanna push people like metallica away .
Three days Grace, from the great * north Canada is the last bastion of rock / numetal eversince obama kicked in , this is not racist it's truthful don't delete it please .

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
you're right. they're advertsising for nu-metal bands , they wanna push people like metallica away .
Three days Grace, from the great * north Canada is the last bastion of rock / numetal eversince obama kicked in , this is not racist it's truthful don't delete it please .

Well I don't go the politics route. But nu-metal to me isn't metal at all. Metallica to me and that whole era "the big 4" were basically the last best hope for us, and 2 of of the 4 still make good music. IMO.

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
Well I don't go the politics route. But nu-metal to me isn't metal at all. Metallica to me and that whole era "the big 4" were basically the last best hope for us, and 2 of of the 4 still make good music. IMO.

they're all on both spotify and youtube ; it's just the suggestions and ads that are different . youtube brings you a whole different stream of music right after the original song you searched for .

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i just don't pay any attention to the labels. they are there for people to argue about and not to enlighten me in any way as to what i am getting with that song.

seems to have worked on you as well :)

if i like it, then (y)

if not, then (n)

moved on....

Reactions: minnin90

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
i just don't pay any attention to the labels. they are there for people to argue about and not to enlighten me in any way as to what i am getting with that song.

seems to have worked on you as well :)

if i like it, then (y)

if not, then (n)

moved on....

Yup. I mean I admit I do drift from certain genres, but not in an none-open way. After all we truly never know what we'll like if we don't listen/try it. Also drums, well...their so fun to play in basically all generes. haha. I mean hitting crap is always fun after a bad day . =)

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
never played real drums but i did enjoy more hours than i care to admit playing them on rock band :)

Rock Band! Gosh I haven't played that since....like 10 years! I think lol! That so cool you do/did tho, good stuff! I always enjoyed guitar hero or w/e it was called, because I couldn't do much on Guitar, just percussion. haha.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yah it been 10 years at least but for a couple years there i got pretty good at it.

i know folks love to laugh at the game but bunch of us had a ton of fun drinking and playing it for a number of years. can't play the instruments? no prob, here's the mic.... AND GO!!! lol

i do remember being a teenager and getting mad about a new album being put in the "rock" section when it was clearly "hard rock" and so on. but think by the time i was maybe 16, i just stopped caring where it was so long as i could still buy it.

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
yah it been 10 years at least but for a couple years there i got pretty good at it.

i know folks love to laugh at the game but bunch of us had a ton of fun drinking and playing it for a number of years. can't play the instruments? no prob, here's the mic.... AND GO!!! lol

i do remember being a teenager and getting mad about a new album being put in the "rock" section when it was clearly "hard rock" and so on. but think by the time i was maybe 16, i just stopped caring where it was so long as i could still buy it.

Right on. I sometimes STILL do that tho (put genre stuff) when it comes to movies haha. Like Alien. Huge fan of that series, and when I see it in sci-fi, OR horror...I'm like its Sci-Fi/Horror...LOL.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
most folks hate my mp3 collection.

i got rock, rap, country and comedy. that's it

subfolders are by decade. i'd never find anything if i had to go through rock, hard rock, soft rock, metal, speed metal, heavy metal, death metal, and so on and so on. i'm happy i can still remember what decade something fits into most of the time. :)

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
most folks hate my mp3 collection.

i got rock, rap, country and comedy. that's it

subfolders are by decade. i'd never find anything if i had to go through rock, hard rock, soft rock, metal, speed metal, heavy metal, death metal, and so on and so on. i'm happy i can still remember what decade something fits into most of the time. :)

I get that! My brother is/was big into all types of Metal and it drove my crazy! I just kinda do what you do as well. :)

So I have been looking at my Spotify most played lists,artists,albums,etc. It goes from Elvis, Queen, Metallica, Rob Zombie,etc. That's the unimportant part.

What gets me is how they hype music up on there by genre. For instance, Godsmack seems to be pushing the "heavy metal" slogan still then I tried their new album (and no disrespect) but it isn't Metal, perhaps Pop-Rock? With a Gruffy voice? I dunno I think we're at a stage in all genres of music that its unfair for Spotify/Amazon/Apple to tell us what a band is to suck us in.

Also funny thing the drummer of the spoken band above (Godsmack) referenced outselling Metallica, whom I love/grew up with and think their new album is their "actual" return to the better version of themselves. Point of me brining that up, how does Rock and Metal fuse these days? I mean heck I read back a few months ago some ppl seriously claim Nickelback to be "somewhat Metal" whatever that means.....

Also I just turned 33...and am learning people don't understand how Elvis "created" Rock N' Roll. I think because they automically thought they had it figured out by British rock groups, whom learned from it very differently. You know...not really from Blues and Gospel/Country. Mixed in 1.

Lastly Rap....dang that genre has went so far down hill. Mostly because offensive things have changed, and to think when I was growing up Eminem would not have released more than 1 song, in total. lol.

This all said. I don't like to label music, on a day by day basis. I just listen to what gets me in the mood for w/e , gaming, letting out frustration,etc. I don't limit myself either, I guess because I'm a drummer IRL, and its fun to experiment musically. How about you?

Those advertised so called Music genres are just simply misleading. Don't pay attention to what these streaming music sites label a band, because they just collect random data based on the popularity, and those music genres labels are NOT given by real musicians either.

Heck, they even label some extreme DEATH/BLACK Metal bands as pure "Heavy ROCK" acts which is laughable. GODSMACK is not heavy metal by any means either. It's a nu-rock outlet.

The NU-Metal is a totally different sub-genre of ALT Rock, and it is not considered as a derivative of METAL to begin with. It contains elements from other genres of music like hip hop, alternative rock, funk, industrial, and/or grunge, but despite that it's a totally separate genre on its own.

Internet has so much misleading info that I can write pages and pages on this explaining it in detail. But don't worry I won't do it here. Though, I will explain in some more detail later on, to clear up any confusion, since right now I'm outside somewhere.

And yes, RAP genre has always included offensive lyrics and stuff in their music since birth. Though, not all rap bands are in the same boat, especially the older gen RAP artists. You can share your music taste and the bands you like under this thread though, if and only if you wish.

Discussion - What's your MOST favorite MUSIC GENRE ? currently playing song on your device ? | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

I mean heck I read back a few months ago some ppl seriously claim Nickelback to be "somewhat Metal" whatever that means.....

LOL, that really made me laugh ! Sigh.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
rap in its early days was really not offensive. at least in the 70's and 80's. not to say that it was all good clean family fun. but it wasn't any worse than any other genre out there.

wasn't until the 90's with the likes of NWA and the other "gansta rap" artists that things really got crazy. not to say i didn't listen to it and enjoy it, but really it was the second wave of those artists that really took things to where i stopped listening.

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
To be fair, any type of music, Metal/Rock, heck even Gospel can be offensive, if you ask that person. lol. I'm personally not easily offended...sooooo

TRENDING THREADS