Question Genshin Impact hang and crash

Jan 23, 2021
I bought a new pre-build from Newegg shortly before the holidays, mainly because I was impatient to get up and running with a 3070 and it's been a really long time since I built a new gaming PC.

The PC runs fine for most games that I've played on it, but on in particular, Genshin Impact hangs and crashes regularly. The game just stutters once or twice and then stops, with a spinning blue circle for a cursor, and in the task manager performance tab, CPU and GPU usage tanks when this happens. Sometimes there is also a corresponding spike in wi-fi usage. I have watched but I haven't noticed any dramatic drops in clock speed on the CPU. When the game is running smoothly, the CPU/GPU usage isn't incredibly high (around 50 and 40% respectively).

I've tried updating the GPU drivers, dramatically lowering the game's graphics settings, and repeatedly rebooting the PC, but the issue keeps recurring. Hoping to avoid needing to re-install windows as I don't have an external storage device or my old PC handy to back things up.

Specs:

CPU: I7-9700F
GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 3070 Twin Edge OC
MB: Gigabyte B365M
RAM: 2x8GB OLOy D4-3000
PSU: Gigabyte P650B 80 Plus Bronze

Anyone have suggestions about what steps I can take to pinpoint the cause? Is it possible it's a PSU issue?

I've also added a picture of what my performance tab tends to look like when the hangs happen: imgur.com/a/sIy3edo

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS