[SOLVED] Get a 9 3900x or a 7 5800x

TheRickert

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
Hey guys,

So im in the processes of overhauling my pc, and currently thinking about a processor.

My question is, should i go for a 9 3900x (currently 400,-) or should i wait for the ryzen 7 5800x.

I will game on the pc and do some multimedia editing (more gaming however), what are your thoughts?
Or should i maybe even think about swapping to intel, since im also swapping my motherboard and get a i-7 10700k?

Solution
this close to release i'd wait it out. rumors and leaks suggest a decent ipc gain so it might be worth it. think it's going to come down to price and what kind of drops we see on the 3000 series.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
wait and se the comparisons
Here we go again folks hehehe. Hey TheRickert I will solve your worries etc. Firstly whatever you buy is old the next day. You can wait for a 5000 series AMD but then a month later they are talking about 6000 series at 5nm then you ask to wait for the 6000 the 7000 series comes out at 3nm. You wait for that and buy it and feel good until the 1nm process comes out. When you are in need of a computer just get it, get what is latest at the moment. As for comparisons between the 3900x and the 5800x. Personally I would firstly go for core count as now a days every CPU is fast enough for single tasks which are desktop usage or Photoshop. Then you have apps like Premiere and 3D and CAD and DAW and 3D which rely on cores. Also FYI as for rendering the CPU does not do it anymore. The new Premiere 2020 latest version both does the video renderings using GPU while using about 25 percent CPU. This results in 600 percent faster export using GPU compared to a 16 core or 12 core 3900x. Still you want core count at this point for streaming and multiple tasks at the same time. Couple this with 32GB RAM and a SSD and your set for many many years. Do not let single core benchmarks get your rattled all up and what not. We are in difficult time with covid-19 and I guarantee low quanities companing from China and delays. I would pay the sexy price for the 3900x with a B450 motherboard 32GB 3600Mhz RAM and SSD and you will be a happy man. Do not play the waiting game as you will always lose and feel like crap at the end like I explained above. Go for it. Good Luck.👌💯🎗✝👶

Reactions: TheRickert

TheRickert

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
Here we go again folks hehehe. Hey TheRickert I will solve your worries etc. Firstly whatever you buy is old the next day. You can wait for a 5000 series AMD but then a month later they are talking about 6000 series at 5nm then you ask to wait for the 6000 the 7000 series comes out at 3nm. You wait for that and buy it and feel good until the 1nm process comes out. When you are in need of a computer just get it, get what is latest at the moment. As for comparisons between the 3900x and the 5800x. Personally I would firstly go for core count as now a days every CPU is fast enough for single tasks which are desktop usage or Photoshop. Then you have apps like Premiere and 3D and CAD and DAW and 3D which rely on cores. Also FYI as for rendering the CPU does not do it anymore. The new Premiere 2020 latest version both does the video renderings using GPU while using about 25 percent CPU. This results in 600 percent faster export using GPU compared to a 16 core or 12 core 3900x. Still you want core count at this point for streaming and multiple tasks at the same time. Couple this with 32GB RAM and a SSD and your set for many many years. Do not let single core benchmarks get your rattled all up and what not. We are in difficult time with covid-19 and I guarantee low quanities companing from China and delays. I would pay the sexy price for the 3900x with a B450 motherboard 32GB 3600Mhz RAM and SSD and you will be a happy man. Do not play the waiting game as you will always lose and feel like crap at the end like I explained above. Go for it. Good Luck.👌💯🎗✝👶

Thanks for your response!

Its one thing to wait two weeks for the 5000 series reviews, and another to wait a year for the next generation after that!

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Its one thing to wait two weeks for the 5000 series reviews, and another to wait a year for the next generation after that!
Can not argue that point ScrewySqrl. Benchmarks is what we need not AMD telling us its 69 percent faster using PCIe 4.0 over PCIe 3.0 which is not true. That is one AMD lie. Their second lie/gimmick was when the 3900x came out touted as the worlds fastest gaming CPU. They are trying to get millions and millions brainwashed on gaming needs and cpu needs for gaming. First off you do not need a 12 core CPU to game at its highest level and frame rate. A 12 core processor is for productivity then gaming. Now they clam 19 percent IPC gains which I am neither believing nor disbelieving. Either way a faster single core at this point does not matter as games really love cores now a days as this is not the old days with 4 core or 6 core HEDT where the 6 core would shine just like the 8700k still shines at this moment just as much as a 9900k and 10700k. Who cares 10fps lower here and there ya know. Personally I think if I was a AMD fan boy and already had a good rig I would bypass the 5000 series and wait for a new chipset + CPU in a year or two. If anyone who has a 3900x or 3950x upgrades their tossing the money in the garbage can IMHO. Sorry for being harsh Im just telling the truth and speaking from past knowledge ya know. I mean AMD has lied before so I don't take anything they say about the 5000 series or BIg Navi until I see it crush a 9900k @ 5Ghz all cores or a 10900k at 5.2Ghz all cores from a repulable reviewer like Tom himself or LInus and what not.😲✝🎗💯🍩🚓

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
I need to spend or else totally worth waiting for 5nm. Agree with Turtle if had a 3900x why would anyone upgrade unless have nothing else to spend money on.

I wonder if 5800x will be tied in gaming with the 5900x. Going for the 5900x just incase and have the extra cores for streaming.

Reactions: TheRickert

InvalidError

Titan
I wonder if 5800x will be tied in gaming with the 5900x. Going for the 5900x just incase and have the extra cores for streaming.
If you use NVEnc, you don't really need the CPU for streaming.

I'm going to guess that the 5800X will be better than the 5900X in most games due to having all of its cores in a single CCX sharing a single L3 cache.