Get a cheaper 1440p monitor that I cant support or 1080p?

droekel

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017
So this sounds silly but I'm afraid my setup can't support a 1440p monitor properly.

Core i7 2600 @3.4Ghz
Geforce gtx970
16 gig ram

I have decided I want to get a Gsync monitor with 100hz+.

In South Africa where I live, the Dell S2417DG is a 1440p monitor that is currently cheaper than the Asus PG248Q which is 1080p.

I think my setup however can't handle 1440p, although it would be a nice future proof. Can I buy the 1440p and play on 1080p for now or should I, spend more money to get a lower resolution?

I haven't been able to find any cheaper G-sync 1080p options in South Africa.

My other doubts are about if 24 inch is not too small for 1440p.

Solution
A good monitor will last you 8+ years. Your GPU is already fairly old and will likely be replaced in a year or two. If you care about FPS and max settings.

Personally, I would get the 1440 monitor. Sure you won't be able to do max settings on new games. You'll still be able to do decent settings. On older games you'll still be able to crank up the settings.

When you get a new GPU. You'll have a monitor which displays much finer detail. In daily use you'll have more screen real estate. Videos and pictures can have finer detail.
A good monitor will last you 8+ years. Your GPU is already fairly old and will likely be replaced in a year or two. If you care about FPS and max settings.

Personally, I would get the 1440 monitor. Sure you won't be able to do max settings on new games. You'll still be able to do decent settings. On older games you'll still be able to crank up the settings.

When you get a new GPU. You'll have a monitor which displays much finer detail. In daily use you'll have more screen real estate. Videos and pictures can have finer detail.

Solution
1440p can run 1080p contain incl. games. You can set down the resolution for certain games, if you are lacking of fps.
I would go for a very good monitor. People tend to keep monitors longer than PCs...not even to mention GPU.

1440p on 24" is indeed for most cases too small. I would pick 27'" instead. For 24", it is better to stick with 1080p. But this depends on how far you are sitting away from the monitor. If you sit close enough, 24" 1440p still make sense.

droekel

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017

Thank you. I do agree with the 'future proof' part so I will decide to go for the 1440p. The next issue i run into then however is that I read mixed reviews about people saying 24 inch is too small for 1440p. Do you disagree?

Do you have normal vision ?
if so, from 90cm (which is a lot and normally viewing distance is ~70cm) 1440p is 77.8 ppd (pixels per degree) is above the 20/20 vision threshold of 60 ppd, but below the average vision of ~20/15. it means that a person with average vision, can see an element of a single pixel from such distance.

I think 1440p is fine at 24 inch (122 DPI). I've used plenty of 1920x1080 13.3" laptops (166 DPI). Everything looks fine to me. 28" 4K monitors are quite popular at 157 DPI. Even the larger 32" models are 138 DPI. Still higher than a 2560x1440 at 24 inch.

Font scaling has improved greatly in Windows. Even for people with normal vision degradation. A high res monitor shouldn't be a big problem anymore.

TRENDING THREADS