Get a Free Trial of Norton and Enter to Win [USA]

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Winning a free trial of norton is like getting drafted into the US army, in either case I flee to Canada to avoid it.

Stickywulf

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
Installing an anti-virus virus will cause drivers to not install correctly, programs to not install correctly and the PC is ultimately screwed.
I'm sure the 37% of visitors running without any security software know of the options and choose freedom rather than the restrictions imposed by Norton and the likes.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Microsoft Security Essentials appears to do fine. Stopped a few things, and no one has jacked my plastic cards yet (at least form the net, the good ole' fashioned skimmer is still a bastard).

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
So Toms has started shilling for Symantec now as well as apple. Figures.
Only a complete idiot would infect their computer with anything from either company.
For those (few) that claim that norton is better than it was, well thats hardly a difficult achievement. Sure, it might use up fewer resources but it still reduces all but the speediest PCs 10-20% and delights in barraging the poor user with a cacophony of annoying popups and prompts when even simplest tasks are attempted.
However, thesedays there are precious AVs that don't do this. I used to love AVG but it got slow and bloated, then I switched to Avast which has recently become Elvis Presley fat and slow. Now the most lightweight but still effective seems to be MS's Security Essentials.
Who knows what I'll be getting my lients to switch to when it goes all OneCare on us.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]So Toms has started shilling for Symantec now as well as apple. Figures.Only a complete idiot would infect their computer with anything from either company.For those (few) that claim that norton is better than it was, well thats hardly a difficult achievement. Sure, it might use up fewer resources but it still reduces all but the speediest PCs 10-20% and delights in barraging the poor user with a cacophony of annoying popups and prompts when even simplest tasks are attempted.However, thesedays there are precious AVs that don't do this. I used to love AVG but it got slow and bloated, then I switched to Avast which has recently become Elvis Presley fat and slow. Now the most lightweight but still effective seems to be MS's Security Essentials.Who knows what I'll be getting my lients to switch to when it goes all OneCare on us.[/citation]
I think its good that Toms is teaming up with someone to give away free stuff, admittedly I wouldn't touch anything Norton related with a s****y stick but that's just me and it mean I stand a zero chance of winning anything.
But
I wouldn't advocate other people not doing so
If you want to put Norton on your machine then go right ahead, worst case scenario is it makes you machine a bit slower, best case you get a Blu Ray player, and if it all goes wrong you can still uninstall it
(albeit with the elusive Norton Removal Tool)

isamuelson

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Sorbert[/nom]yes you can enter without dling the application just did but it says winners to be announced april 2 2010 hmm something fishy there[/citation]

IT'S A VIRUS! ;)

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I think the prize is not installing anything Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, etc.

AVAST!, AVG, Kerpasky(if I spelled that right), ESET, etc, are the way to go.

G

thanks best of media and tom's hardware i won third prize of the Symantec Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.