[SOLVED] Get a Ryzen 7 3800X or wait for Zen 3?

CristianDragos

Prominent
Jun 22, 2020
Hey guys, here's my dilemma.

I'm planning a new build in the coming months, either a new ryzen 4000 series if the price is right or a 3800x if there's no zen 3 CPU in this price range/performance.

Since this CPU is virtually unoverclockable (and I don't want the hassle overclocking a 3700x), I was aiming for either a quality B450 motherboard (Like the MSI Tomahawk) or a B550 in the same price range (about $120) because of the faster RAM support, PCIe 4.0 and faster LAN, but such B550 is nowhere to be found!

Also the cheapest B550 I could find looks worse in quality and features than the cheapest X570 so I'm kinda stuck. I wonder if waiting for the zen 3 is a good idea since the motherboards won't get any cheaper and I'm not sure they will release a better value CPU for the same price as the 3800x which is now at about $400 in my country.

I'll be using the new build mainly for productivity (graphic apps like Adobe CC, Affinity Designer, etc.) on a 4K display (which is currently too much to handle for my current build) which will be powered by a GTX 1660 Super that fits nicely in my budget.

Any thoughts, opinions on if I should wait for the Ryzen 4000 series release or get the 3800x while it's still in stock with a good B450 or a cheap x570 board?

Thanks,
Cristian

CristianDragos

Prominent
Jun 22, 2020
Zen 3 is rumored to be 15% ish faster than Zen 2. Whether that performance increase is worth waiting 4 to 6 months for is up to you.
Thank you for the info! I'll definitely wait then for both the CPU, Mobo and Graphic Card. In the meantime, I've ordered a nice NZXT H510 Matte Black case which would house either an ATX or mATX motherboard. I've seen a nice lineup of mATX B550 motherboards so I'll keep an eye of those since these are normally a bit less expensive than their ATX counterpart.