[SOLVED] Get a second router for NAS setup?

user016

Distinguished
May 28, 2012
I share an internet connection (using a powerline) with a house mate and several others but i want to set up a NAS to access over the internet and wanted to know the most secure way i could do this?

I was thinking about setting up another router with vpn but im interested in know if there is anything else i should be doing or/what setup and equipment you guys would recommend for it.

Solution
Many NAS systems have some kind of cloud access. It likely is some what less secure than VPN but it easier to setup. The risk would be the hosting company itself get compromised and then they gain access to your NAS.

It would be easier to put vpn on the main router but it depends on how much control over the main router you have.

Using a second router lets you place the vpn there but you still need to do a bunch of stuff like port forwarding on the main router. The first thing you need to check is that the main router is actually being assigned a public IP address. You will also being using upload bandwidth to access files remotely so you need to see how much you get from the ISP. If it is small it is pretty easy to exceed which...
Many NAS systems have some kind of cloud access. It likely is some what less secure than VPN but it easier to setup. The risk would be the hosting company itself get compromised and then they gain access to your NAS.

It would be easier to put vpn on the main router but it depends on how much control over the main router you have.

Using a second router lets you place the vpn there but you still need to do a bunch of stuff like port forwarding on the main router. The first thing you need to check is that the main router is actually being assigned a public IP address. You will also being using upload bandwidth to access files remotely so you need to see how much you get from the ISP. If it is small it is pretty easy to exceed which will impact all the users in the house.

You might consider one of the many cloud storage options rather than use a NAS. It all depends on what your primary use is.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

user016

Distinguished
May 28, 2012

Using a second router lets you place the vpn there but you still need to do a bunch of stuff like port forwarding on the main router. The first thing you need to check is that the main router is actually being assigned a public IP address. You will also being using upload bandwidth to access files remotely so you need to see how much you get from the ISP. If it is small it is pretty easy to exceed which will impact all the users in the house.

You might consider one of the many cloud storage options rather than use a NAS. It all depends on what your primary use is.

Was planning to use it as a backup/dropbox style storage unit. Its a Synology 720+ i was interested in.

Reactions: SamirD
Its a Synology 720+ i was interested in.
I would be VERY wary of connecting a qnap or synology directly to the internet or even having any internet access. The billion dollar ransomware industry specifically targets these units and has great success with their crimes and it's getting even worse as it becomes more profitable for them. Just do a search for either brand and 'ransomware' and read all the nightmare threads...