Get Excited For 'Doom' With A New Launch Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR B0CEPHUS

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
I saw a trailer not too long ago. We'll see what it's like when it comes out. I remember playing Doom this on my best friend's PC years ago when we were in elementary school.

nirrtix

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
If it is like the open beta I will pass. The steam beta was not like Doom. I own the original Doom games and will buy this if the single player is more Doomlike.

dstarr3

Distinguished
If it is like the open beta I will pass. The steam beta was not like Doom. I own the original Doom games and will buy this if the single player is more Doomlike.

The multiplayer was designed by a different studio. So, it really has very little bearing on what the single-player will be like.

psiboy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
I'll wait and see if it lives up to the hype. I want great ball tearing single player awesomeness! Don't give a rats about the multiplayer!

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
have you played the beta its worse then any COD ever made.

Of course, while not really Doom it was waaay better than the Madden of FPS games. I'll admit it did feel more Quake than anything but I'll take that over COD anyday. I'll also take that over another BF with a different skin thrown over it, Frostbite never did anything interesting, Havok had destroyable environments a long time ago.

Simon Anderson

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2013
sweet can't wait! A bit strange how physical copy requires 45gb download... oh well. I usually just buy physical because/when it's cheaper (which ALSO doesn't make sense... but hey that's Australia/Steam for you!)

dstarr3

Distinguished

You could always just buy it on a console.

LOL

While I am not saying the game is gonna be bad (in fact, it may very well be good), it is clearly another console port.
This is based on the small spread between minimal req. and recommended req. in GPU terms, the weapon wheel and the graphics (yes, they look good, but nowhere near as good as PCs can do today).

My problem with that is not that in itself console ports MUST be bad, but the fact that based on previous titles that were console ports, it pains a grim outcome.
Here is hoping I am wrong.

Jake Hall

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013
I don't care if this upsets people but that Cyberdemon looks dumb as F**k. What happened to the minotauresque, satanic, clove-hooved idea? This looks like some generic, blizzard-designed, tusk beetle with turtle feet. Stupid. The rest looks great, so far. Glad to see the Archvile made it in the game :)

msh0486

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
While I am not saying the game is gonna be bad (in fact, it may very well be good), it is clearly another console port.
This is based on the small spread between minimal req. and recommended req. in GPU terms, the weapon wheel and the graphics (yes, they look good, but nowhere near as good as PCs can do today).

My problem with that is not that in itself console ports MUST be bad, but the fact that based on previous titles that were console ports, it pains a grim outcome.
Here is hoping I am wrong.

I would expect you to prove your assumption that it's a port by providing some sort of substantial evidence, and not just your opinion on the difference between minimum and recommended specs. They certainly wouldn't skimp on the PC version, since everyone involved in the development are PC-heavy developers.

dstarr3

Distinguished

There's a difference between a console port of a PC game and a PC port of a console game. A PC game on consoles could still be perfectly good on PC. It's the console ports to PC you have to worry about. And I don't think that's what this is. Shadow Warrior 2013 and Wolfenstein: New Order were console ports of PC games, and those were the best PC shooters we've seen in a long time. Doom could easily be more of that, especially considering Bethesda was behind Wolfenstein, as well.

I used to eagerly await the latest versions of the most popular video games like CoD, BF and Doom. That was in the day when you bought the physical copy of the game and all you had to do was install it and play it.
Now the game producers think it is OK to put the bare bones of the game on a disc and then force the purchasers to download ten of gigabytes of additional content just to play their game. There are millions of people out there who have monthly caps on their usage and can't afford the hundreds of dollars it would cost to download. The video game industry is cutting themselves off from millions of dollars of revenue whilst denying millions of gamers the opportunity to enjoy what urban gamers take for granted.

msh0486

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

You think they can fit 50+GB on a single CD or DVD? Do you think they'll stamp and ship 5-10 discs for you to install the game? Not likely.
It's not like it used to be back in the day when games were only a few gigs in size, if that. If you buy a CD version of a game now-a-days, you'll very likely have to download additional content for it to install. I've had to do that for the last couple physical copies that I've purchased.
Also, I don't think the data cap issue is of much concern. Steam doesn't seem to cause many problems with data cap issues, but for those who have shitty data caps which are constantly causing them issues, they should write their congressmen, FTC, FCC, and so on to voice their issues with their shitty ISP data caps. Only then will something truly happen.

Where in my post did I mention that I wanted all game content on one CD? COD BO III has 6 discs but I needed to download 3 GB before I could start the game. I understand there were game updates that were released since the CD's were burned at the factory and that doesn't bother me. It's the games that force you to download 40-50 GB after installing the physical media. At that rate the DLC would cost me between $400 and $500.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Two Blu-Rays would be good for 100GB. That's perfectly reasonable. And not everybody has data caps, but enough people still do for it to be a problem. It's a big problem that a single game can devour a quarter of a person's monthly bandwidth. It's a bigger problem that a cap even exists, but it's not a problem that's just going to go away overnight. We can talk to the powers that be to try to fix that, but in the meantime, probably for next five years still, at least, it's going to be a problem that a lot of people have to deal with. And I know a handful of people that just don't buy games because they can't afford to download them.

msh0486

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

You missed my point. And what kind of internet service do you use that would cost you that much? Satellite? Your cell phone service? That's the only way to imagine you paying that much, and neither of those are practical for gaming anyways. But if you're using comcast, time warner, charter, etc., then take the advice I gave at the end of my last comment.

msh0486

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

That's not a bad idea, but then that causes another pigeon hole situation, because not everyone has blu ray players in their computer. However, they are much cheaper now, so it wouldn't be that huge of an issue to upgrade one's disc drive. Also, more people burn up their bandwidth with movies/music thanks for the demand of high-quality content. I can see some people having the bandwidth cap issues with downloading games, but not as many people as you think.

dstarr3

Distinguished

I was actually thinking about consoles primarily. But yeah, if a person is suffering from a data cap, getting a USB Blu-Ray drive for the occasional game install wouldn't be the worst investment. That is, if physical PC games actually shipped with all the content on them. Which, let's face it, isn't the real problem. The real problem is data caps to begin with, but that's another topic for another day.

No, you didn't read my post. and as far as what kind of Internet service would result in data caps and fees like mine, try LTE wireless internet with Rogers Internet in Canada. Rogers is one of the "big three" in Canada which is a big part of the problem...very little competition.

Arbie

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
From the few actual gameplay moments shown, it looks like maybe - just maybe - we'll have an FPS worthy of following the Crysis quad. Odds are, not. But maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.