Get into my pc

rgh43

Honorable
Sep 24, 2018
I Have a new HP 690-0067c pc and I want to change the HD with an SSD. At this point have removed the side panel & I need to get into the area the RAM is located. There is a black metal bridge spanning the width of the case, it has 4 screws holding it in place as far as I can see &. mounted under the bridge is the Hard Drive & the Optical Drive. With the screws out I have also removed 3 more that were screwed into the silver metal piece that also has plastic pieces in a couple of places holding the front panel in. I can move the bridge back about 1 inch as the front of the optical drive is now recessed the same distance. Do you have to remove the front panel of the PC to get that bridge to move back farther. I need to get at the M-2 socket in the area of the Ram & also need to remove the HD.

Solution
I googled the make and model number.

Then looked through the various links that came up and used what I learned to refine the search.

Once I have identified a link or two that seem appropriate I pass the information along.

Sometimes the links are a good match. Other times not, for some reason or another, a good match. For the most part mismatches are often resolved by the infamous "details matter". Details that originally may not have appeared relevant to the OP or even me.

As for the NAND NVMe PCIe: again details matter. You often see the word "compatible" in many product adds. That may mean at best it will work and, at worst, it will simply "connect" or "plug in".

From one of my favorite sites...

Ralston18

Titan
Just for reference purposes:

Does the following link match your pc?

http://h22235.www2.hp.com/hpinfo/globalcitizenship/environment/productdata/Countries/_MultiCountry/disassembly_deskto_2018212223023302.pdf

I see a NVMe in images 6 through 9 - that is the desired socket if I am following your post and plans correctly.

Suggest that you hold until someone having the same case provides comment. Sounds as if things are getting more complicated than necessary. Good sign that something may be astray.

rgh43

Honorable
Sep 24, 2018

Excellent, this is perfect & if it is not my pc exactly it is 99.9% like it. One Post & I have exactly what I needed I wish I had posted this ? here earlier. I belong to the HP forum and have made several posts on this ? but have not gotten anything that is as definitive as this. I see on page 7 as you mentioned what looks like an SSD plugged into the M-2 socket. I was in having a hard time trying to figure out how exactly to get in there. I had a plan to get my hand in there but it would be a lot more work that I can now eliminate with your pictures on how to get the Bridge that the HD & Optical Drive are mounted to. Isn't that an SSD plugged into the M-2 socket.

Thank you for the PDF with the how to pictures, I have been looking for something like that for the last few days, I did get something back from an HP forum member but nothing near what you supplied. If you don't mind where did you find this, on the HP site? Do you happen to have a link to it for future reference. One other ? is this type of SSD (3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD) faster than the one that plugs into the MB with a SATA cord.
Again Thank you for your assistance.

Ralston18

Titan
I googled the make and model number.

Then looked through the various links that came up and used what I learned to refine the search.

Once I have identified a link or two that seem appropriate I pass the information along.

Sometimes the links are a good match. Other times not, for some reason or another, a good match. For the most part mismatches are often resolved by the infamous "details matter". Details that originally may not have appeared relevant to the OP or even me.

As for the NAND NVMe PCIe: again details matter. You often see the word "compatible" in many product adds. That may mean at best it will work and, at worst, it will simply "connect" or "plug in".

From one of my favorite sites:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-m2-833453

Product performance claims, speed or otherwise, are often established under ideal circumstances versus real world scenarios.

Key is to dig into the detailed specifications: in your situation look at both the motherboard specs and the SSD M.2 you are considering.

Solution

rgh43

Honorable
Sep 24, 2018

rgh43

Honorable
Sep 24, 2018
Thanks for the information, this has been & will be a great help to get this task done that I have been trying to good info on for at least 3 or 4 days and in a few hours I finally have it.