News Get Over $150 off This Massive 8TB Samsung SSD in Huge Early Black Friday Deal

slurmsmckenzie

Reputable
Apr 12, 2021
Out of interest, does anyone know why there are no 6TB SSDs? I'd like to replace my WD Red 6TB data drive at some point (is quite old now), 4TB won't be large enough and 8TB is still a lot of money (Amazon UK have it at £618). I mean a lot of outlay BTW, not really thinking about price per GB or anything. In between the two would be what I'd want but they just don't seem to exist?

Co BIY

Splendid
Out of interest, does anyone know why there are no 6TB SSDs? I'd like to replace my WD Red 6TB data drive at some point (is quite old now), 4TB won't be large enough and 8TB is still a lot of money (Amazon UK have it at £618). I mean a lot of outlay BTW, not really thinking about price per GB or anything. In between the two would be what I'd want but they just don't seem to exist?

Great question. I have wondered why no one has put out a 3TB SSD ?

Filling a marketspace with no one else in it makes a lot of sense.

My paychecks don't scale exponentially and I suspect I'm not the only one.

slurmsmckenzie

Reputable
Apr 12, 2021
Great question. I have wondered why no one has put out a 3TB SSD ?

Filling a marketspace with no one else in it makes a lot of sense.

My paychecks don't scale exponentially and I suspect I'm not the only one.
Indeed - I'm totally clueless in these areas but market-wise it would seem to make more sense to offer the 3TB and 6TB options with prices the way they are with SSDs and I would expect it to be less attractive to offer those in-between size options with HDDs when the price differential is much smaller (folks more like to think "oh well, wanted a 6TB option but 8TB isn't that much more...").

But I assume there is a specific / good reason...

USAFRet

Titan
BlackFriday:
8F84Gws.jpg

Reactions: Phaaze88
Apr 1, 2020
I will say how disappointed I am that large capacity "NAS SSDs" haven't become a thing for the consumer market. Yes Seagate makes the 4TB IronWolf NAS SSD, but it's near $600, not something that's consumer friendly. I remember when this 8TB QVO drive dropped I was hopeful, but sadly it really hasn't gone anywhere in 18 months

USAFRet

Titan
I will say how disappointed I am that large capacity "NAS SSDs" haven't become a thing for the consumer market. Yes Seagate makes the 4TB IronWolf NAS SSD, but it's near $600, not something that's consumer friendly. I remember when this 8TB QVO drive dropped I was hopeful, but sadly it really hasn't gone anywhere in 18 months
For a lot of people, the advent of streaming services has negated the need for big storage at home.

(as I look over at my NAS and its 65TB capacity)

slurmsmckenzie

Reputable
Apr 12, 2021
More like

January: $499.99
March: $449.99
April: $499.99
Black Friday: $459.99
It is this kind of pricing nonsense that always gets me, the classic "inflate the price for a few weeks then claim we're reducing it" tactic:
image.png

For a lot of people, the advent of streaming services has negated the need for big storage at home.

Sure that's true, but still not sure why there are more capacity options with HDDs than SSDs? Probably related to that fact somehow though, and probably other factors too.

USAFRet

Titan
Sure that's true, but still not sure why there are more capacity options with HDDs than SSDs? Probably related to that fact somehow though, and probably other factors too.
Chip capacity and construction vs adding another platter.

1/2/4/8TB
Double the chips in an SSD.

1/2/3/4TB
Add another platter in an HDD case.
Then, double the platter density for 4/6/8TB.

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
The only issue with these SATA III SSDs is exactly that, the interface SATA III. It's limited to max capped 600MB/s speed. For archival purpose that doesn't require high speed, mechanical HDDs are still much cheaper anyway and if you really want to spend money for higher speed SSD, why not go with PCIE interface and get the most benefit

Apr 1, 2020

Agreed, and if Microsoft ever stops being a Dbag and allows the 6TB OneDrive space from Office 365 Family to be shared instead of dedicated split 1TB per user it'd remove even more of the NAS market, but I still think there's a case to be made for inexpensive high-capacity SSDs where speed isn't critical. Along with people like me who use their NAS as a media server, there's surveillance systems which would benefit from the much-increased reliability of an SSD vs a HDD.

It is this kind of pricing nonsense that always gets me, the classic "inflate the price for a few weeks then claim we're reducing it" tactic:
image.png

It's not just that, it's all the sales and promotions which occur throughout the year which can often have better than Black Friday pricing, especially around Easter, especially with all the competition there is in the digital age where 10 reputable stores may have the same item.

TRENDING THREADS