Get Some Free Gaming on OnLive This Halloweekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
no thanks, not interested in 'cloud' gaming or any free gimmick trying to get 'likes' on facebook.
Like im THAT dumb to not see what they are trying to do....

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
[citation][nom]alhanelem[/nom]no thanks, not interested in 'cloud' gaming or any free gimmick trying to get 'likes' on facebook.Like im THAT dumb to not see what they are trying to do....[/citation]
You don't like that they are trying to increase business? Don't complain about things that are free. If you don't like it don't use it.

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
I just tried playing a few of these free games and its absolutely terrible. The mouse jumps around a bunch while aiming. All the terrain is extremely fuzzy. I couldn't stand playing for more than 2 minutes.

G

Told my friend about this yesterday so I can watch him freak out in Amnesia.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]soccerdocks[/nom]I just tried playing a few of these free games and its absolutely terrible. The mouse jumps around a bunch while aiming. All the terrain is extremely fuzzy. I couldn't stand playing for more than 2 minutes.[/citation]

Aww, someone has a bad internet connection.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
So I just tested it out; load times were short (surprisingly short) and gameplay was relatively smooth. Addendum: Load times were short compared to loading metro on DX11 high settings, when I play on low it loads just as fast or faster than onlive did.

BUT

My 6790 renders metro 2033 on high DX11 at the same frame rate as onlive was rendering it on dx9 low. That is pretty poor performance for a company touting their product as the next best thing comming down the pipe.

Additionally; you have ZERO control over the grapics, those options are removed from the game's options menu. WTF.

Even Orcs must die was rendering low res. And stuttered a little.

And I have a good connection 8down/1up

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]jasonpwns[/nom]Aww, someone has a bad internet connection.[/citation]

I am on Comcast internet. 20mbps down, about 5 or 6mbps up. 60-70ms pings in online games. OnLive still looks like ps2 era graphics on my computer.

It's a cool concept, considering how many things go on within 1/10th of a second, but it's not good enough yet in my opinion.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Probably be better to just pick them up from the Steam sale, 'cause after Halloween is over, you still have your game to play.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Orcs Must Die is actually kinda cool. It's like a tower defense game with hack and slash type action.

FPS games and racing games are terrible because of high latency, but 3rd person games (Orcs Must Die, Prince of Persia, Assassin's Creed, etc) are ok. And it doesn't matter if you have a 10.000 GB/s connection! If it takes 3 seconds to receive/transmit, gameplay's gonna be ugly. In the future I hope they branch out to other countries, or at least have some (closer) competition.

The fifth game is probably gonna be a zombie game like Left 4 Dead or something...

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]alhanelem[/nom]no thanks, not interested in 'cloud' gaming or any free gimmick trying to get 'likes' on facebook.Like im THAT dumb to not see what they are trying to do....[/citation]
Agree and I wonder how laggy Metro 2033 will be because that game is demanding on video hardware.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
i know i'm about to get a lot of thumbs down. but before i start on my points that will earn me the most thumbs down of all time, i would like to point out I myself am a PC gamer more so than any thing else.

now on to the comment that going to set me on the path of breaking a thumbs down record.

I AM SO SICK OF ALL THE WHINEY ASS PC GAMERS HERE AT TOM"S THAT ATTACK ANY AND EVERY THING THAT SEEMS TO THREATEN THEIR EXCUSE TO EXPULGE GOBS OF MONEY OUT OF THIER WALLETS ON COMP HARDWARE THAT THE VAST AMJORITY OF GAMERS IN GENERAL CANT AFFORD !!!

Seriosuly poepel , the PC gmaers here at tom's make pc gmaers all over look liek total dicks
"whah consoles are holding PC's back and games shoudl only cater to super rich like me whah "

"whah, This cloud gaming service sucks cos it doesn't use my 1200 dollars worth of SLI-ed Hardedware"

"whah Xbox 360 sucks cos it was built in 2005"

"whah, console kiddies are stupid whah"

give me a break already grow up yourselfs, and for gods sake SOME ONE CALL A WHAMBULANCE ! for all these bitch ass whiney PC gamers here at toms, because you guys are all making the rest of us look like asses to any one that can't afford a gaming pc

P.S. this is the last time i'm going to ever post soemthing in this regard tired of telling you guys to grow up guessing you'll never figure that part of life out

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
I have a badass desktop at home, but when I'm stuck at a hotel with wireless and laptop, onlive saves the day, I'm able to deal with the lag and still play effectively. L2play.

singemagique

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
While I wouldn't make OnLive my main gaming platform (since I have access to a decent computer system) for what it delivers it is quite nice. Now I know people are going to complain about the lag and graphics, but remember that the game is being rendered hundreds if not thousands of miles away and is taking and issuing commands in real time. That's pretty impressive in my book. It reminds me of Sega Channel back in the early 90. With time this service can only get better.

It's also a great way to try out games with the 30min trial passes. And above all, it runs on my four year old laptop that I use while traveling.

By the way if you haven't played Orcs Must Die, it is a fantastic puzzle/tower defense.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
[citation][nom]phatboe[/nom]You don't like that they are trying to increase business? Don't complain about things that are free. If you don't like it don't use it.[/citation]

I'd rather not use it, it become a trend, or any other sheeple fall for this. Cloud gaming needs to die so businesses won't see this as viable and try to market it.

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]jasonpwns[/nom]Aww, someone has a bad internet connection.[/citation]
Uh, no. I have 20 mb down and 5 mb up. I usually have a ping of 40 ms while gaming online. That is not a bad internet connection. I even tried playing it at my local college campus with 100 mb down and up. Still not any better.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]soccerdocks[/nom]Uh, no. I have 20 mb down and 5 mb up. I usually have a ping of 40 ms while gaming online. That is not a bad internet connection. I even tried playing it at my local college campus with 100 mb down and up. Still not any better.[/citation]

On 100/100 mbit here with below 30 in ping, does it matter... not that much since its not rendered on my machine but rather elsewhere with everything dialed down to the lowest possible setting and then compressed adding even more blur/latency. No thx!

gmcizzle

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]bobusboy[/nom]So I just tested it out; load times were short (surprisingly short) and gameplay was relatively smooth. Addendum: Load times were short compared to loading metro on DX11 high settings, when I play on low it loads just as fast or faster than onlive did.BUTMy 6790 renders metro 2033 on high DX11 at the same frame rate as onlive was rendering it on dx9 low. That is pretty poor performance for a company touting their product as the next best thing comming down the pipe. Additionally; you have ZERO control over the grapics, those options are removed from the game's options menu. WTF.Even Orcs must die was rendering low res. And stuttered a little.And I have a good connection 8down/1up[/citation]
This. I always wanted to try OnLive out, but man what a disappointment. I tried metro 2033 and Fear 3 and man it looks like ass on my 1080p monitor, like a 720p upscale or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.