Get Windoes 10 Partition Back after Aniversary Update

G

I was stupid enough to update my server to Anniversary Update and now my other partition doesn't show. And this partition was 4TB in size with precious crucial data on it. Due to the size I didn't back it up. So now my question is how do I get it back. And I've downgraded to a earlier build to no avail. And also I've moved my user profile to that partition so when it boots I get a error saying "B:\Shiven Joshi\Desktop" can't be found. Same as Documents and what not.

Solution
Hi Shiven,
Hopefully when you get your new drive partitioned and formatted, you will be able to connect this 6TB drive with a corrupted partition to your computer, and recover most of the data over to the new drive.

There are several very good data recovery programs available to do that - Recuva by Piriform, Easeus Data Recovery Wizard which I like, M3 Data Recovery which has a 30 day free trial, and TenorShare Data Recovery which also has a 30 day trial. Check on their websites, as some only let you recover a limited amount of data free.

Once you have your data "recovered", then you can go ahead and use the 6TB drive formatted in a standard way. There is basically nothing wrong with the drive physically.

If you are going to use...
G

Please help me... Seagate Drive Partition created using Seagate Extend Tool since it's a MBR drive because of BIOS limitations.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Shiven,
There are a couple important points we need to know to get you back to normal.
Are you describing two different HDD's, one with your OS primary partition on it, and a secondary HDD with a 4GB partition that became not visible? Or is this a > 4TB drive with two or more partitions on a single drive on your computer?
There have been reports of partitions not recognized by good old Win-1607.
If you are able to get to Disk Management, or if the desktop is not visible, using Safe Mode, see if the 4TB drive is there, and what the Volume Status "partition status" is. There are reports of them listed as "RAW" which means the File System is not recognized. No matter what, for now do try to overwrite or reformat it.

Give us a more detailed description of your computer set up, laptop, desktop, # of HDDs, how connected, If you can get to the desktop, or does the boot up process hang and a particular point.

G

No, this is one is a one large 6TB drive. Split in 2 partitions 1 is for OS and Apps which is 2TB and there is another one that's 4TB for data. But that 4TB one was created with Seagate Extended Drive. As this BIOS won't see disk capacity in excess of over 2TB's. Disk Management says 4TB unallocated and can't make a partition from this as it's greyed out. And it's a dynamic disk which is "At Risk" according to Disk Management. Oh and now I'm on the November Update as I've downgraded.

Error from Seagate Extended Capacity:

An error occured while working with Extended Capacity disk driver. (0x1800009)
Tag = 0x62BCB8011D1B46B6
{0, busy} (0x17F0012)
Tag = 0x919C7CB4F23E4707
A device attached to the system is not functioning (0xFFF0)
code = 8007001F)
Tag = 0xBD28FDBD64EDB8C4

I do have the 2013 Acronis Virtual Disk Driver installed on the server. Should I System Restore this server.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Shiven,

The fact that this HDD had the Seagate extended partition on it may be a problem. If it says it's unallocated with a Black Band across the top, that means the OS doesn't recognize any file system on it. You still have the 2.2 TB partition1 that your OS is on. How much data do you have on the 4TB HDD?

Before trying anything right now, I'd call Seagate (800 732-4283) or (405 324-4700) and ask tech support if their SeaTools diagnostic app can reapply that extended non standard partition, non destructively, but don't reformat it or write anything on it even testing it with random read/writes. If not I'd download Easeus Data Recovery Wizard, which has the ability to move data off a "Raw" or "Unallocated" segments of the drive. There is a 30 day free trial of the Professional Version, but then it costs ~$69. It may be worth it. The free version used to have a 1GB retrieval limit, but I'm not sure about the trial version of the Pro product.

Recovering data using a Data Recovery Application means you have to have ample space to move the folders and files it identifies off the extended partition, then take that partition and make it into 2 2.2TB Basic Drives, reformat them, then move your good data back over to it.

I can't imagine there is anything wrong with the drive itself, it's just Win-10 Anniversary messed up the unorthodox partition that was on it. In Disk Management, on the left side of the graphical representation of this disk, in the Disk Status section, it would say Drive at Risk. I would guess it will say Healthy Dynamic.

Over the weekend, you could download the Data Recovery Wizard, install it, and just have it analyze the unallocated section of the drive, to see how easily it ID's your files. Here is their website: www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/

Hope that will get you back to pre-anniversary state.

G

No you have it all wrong there is 1 drive that is 6TB. Windows, of course see 2TB right... So I used the Seagate Beyond 2TB App to see my other 4TB

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Shiven,

I do understand your situation. You have a 6TB drive which you set up as an MBR drive type, Dynamic Partition Style, and the OS can see only the first 2.2 TB. Then you used the Seagate Beyond App and it set up a non standard way of creating a second partition that's 4 TB in size for your data. Taken from your prior note:

one large 6TB drive. Split in 2 partitions 1 is for OS and Apps which is 2TB and there is another one that's 4TB for data.

What's happened is Win-10 Anniversary has corrupted the non standard method of seeing the 4 TB data partition.
so it shows the partition is Unallocated in Disk Management. But the data bits are still there, as long as you don't overwrite any. So the 2 options are to see if Seagate tech support can reestablish that non standard partition system, (non destructively), which I doubt, or if you need to use a data recovery program that can see the individual files still in that 4TB area, and safely copy it to a different location. Depending on how much data is on the 4TB partition, the temporary copy location has to be big enough to store it, that's why I brought up the second drive. Then after you reformat this 4TB area in a standard way (2 2.2TB partitions, for a total of 3 partitions on the 6TB drive, you can copy the data back to it. If you NTFS reformat that 4TB area without having a copy of your data stored temporarily elsewhere, you will lose all the data. If it were me, I wouldn't repartition it with the Seagate Beyond to a 4TB partition again, since every 6-12 months good old Microsoft is going to be releasing another Upgrade which would logically cause the same problem. Please correct me if you set it up initially in a different way.

G

Thanks for your help though it's kind of too late I've put another drive and will do what you've said as I needed this server up ASAP. Windows sees 2TB not 2.2TB

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Shiven,
Hopefully when you get your new drive partitioned and formatted, you will be able to connect this 6TB drive with a corrupted partition to your computer, and recover most of the data over to the new drive.

There are several very good data recovery programs available to do that - Recuva by Piriform, Easeus Data Recovery Wizard which I like, M3 Data Recovery which has a 30 day free trial, and TenorShare Data Recovery which also has a 30 day trial. Check on their websites, as some only let you recover a limited amount of data free.

Once you have your data "recovered", then you can go ahead and use the 6TB drive formatted in a standard way. There is basically nothing wrong with the drive physically.

If you are going to use Win-10 as your OS on the new drive, consider clean installing it, since MS has your product number already, rather than going thru the "upgrade" process from 7 or 8.1 to Win 10 1607, as there are always errors that occur in that upgrade process. The practice of Microsoft updating our computers to the "Anniversary version" or even with the forced updates, is causing a lot of problems and anger, as they are breaking stable setups guys have used without incident. Like the Webcams that now don't work, or your HDD whose partition became corrupted. Probably best to stick with, for now, standard equipment and standard protocols.

With the newer motherboards, and setting up either a "dynamic disc initially, or a type of software raid Microsoft calls Storage Spaces, you can use disks much larger than 2.2 TB ((2^32)*512) and adjust their volume size when needed. So with a UEFI MB later, you can safely use your 6TB drive as a 6TB drive without risk
Hope everything goes well with your transition. We've all been there.

John

Solution