GETIHU PB-01 Power Bank Tear-Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
Interesting. Doubt the OEM ever expected someone to get quite so "intimate" with their product. It's articles like this that keeps OEMs vaguely honest in this day and age. Who needs UL when when Toms will give a product a full rectal?

Daniel Sauvageau

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014

:)

Just keep in mind that UL, CSA, VDE, etc. mainly deal with electrical, fire and mechanical safety issues, not misleading or fraudulent marketing or performance. Fraudulent claims is something for the consumer protection, advertising standards and other similar agencies to deal with. You could get the most blatant PoS falsely advertised gizmo you can conceive of UL-listed as long as it passes safety checks for whatever applicable UL categories you apply for. If your gizmo has power outlets on it, you can probably get it UL-listed for UL 1363 (relocatable power tap) regardless of how unsafe unrelated additional functions might be as the UL listing pertains exclusively to the power bar function and related aspects of the product. Secondary features such as built-in USB ports would be covered separately under something like UL/CSA 60950 which is specifically about information technology equipment safety.

BaRoMeTrIc

Honorable
Jan 30, 2017
This is the problem with open trade. These products get into the U.S. from China via amazon, newegg, ebay... They slap fake UL stickers on there, fake specs. No one checks them out or holds them accountable. We need better regulation.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

Do you think someone working for uncle Sam would have done what Sauvageau did(and the answer is no, because someone from the electronics industry is already offering any competent engineer from Gov. who would checking stuff like this a job)? Call me a strong skeptic. Government, business, my neighbors, everyone but my own flesh and blood is to be trusted, but verified(and possibly not even trusted in the least).

Daniel Sauvageau

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014

I haven't had one of those yet, so no first-hand comment on that but one of my friends who owns a few Anker accessories is eagerly waiting for me to get around to tearing into one and see if I'll find anything that might shake his confidence in the brand.

Between power banks I've shown here so far though, the SilverStone PB01's track record for poorly soldered micro-B ports (two out of three, though I haven't opened the third one to check, only saying so because it hasn't failed me yet, unlike the 2nd unit whose micro-B was practically DOA) is very unfortunate and although the Q-Swap is neatly built, it is expensive compared to countless other 10Ah-class alternatives. The GETIHU may have been ok-ish for the price had it been advertised at its actual 8Ah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS