gettign the highest rated parts from amazon and the lowest cost of the highest rated, is that ok? or go for laptop? which is b

Status
Not open for further replies.

computerbroken

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
gettign the highest rated parts from amazon and the lowest cost of the highest rated, is that ok? or go for laptop? which is better, i dunno any of this stuff

looking for best value

best value = highest performance/gains to cost ratio

main use is chrome

need something that is good for moving often (from nyc to sf for example) / travelling

* is desktop like 70% of a laptop for same thing?

* or laptop like 150% of a desktop?

need to know to decide

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, how much do you have to spend is a better way to look at it.

Absolute best cost/performance ratio is going to be a used desktop or laptop refurbished from some company. Newegg has an excellent search engine for that.

computerbroken

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017

would desktop be 70% cost of a laptop or?

no limit, it's about best value

computerbroken

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017

i need to know this:

would desktop be 70% cost of a laptop or?

cant decide without this

no way to know if laptop would be it

USAFRet

Titan

For a given performance level, a desktop will be 'less expensive' than a laptop.
Then, factor in your mobility needs.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Best value would be to go to a thrift store and pick up whatever is still working?

For extreme portability a Windows tablet: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834132158

Or this tiny ultrabook. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABYS5DM1716

Or for something slightly newer: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834298866

All depends what you consider an acceptable expense. And keep in mind these machines were likely at someone's work desk running 9-5 every day for three to five years.

You could pick up the bargain laptop of the week at wal-mart or whatever. It will be terrible, but should meet all your requirements.

A desktop is cheaper in the regards that you get more performance for the money. But the base cost of a computer is pretty much the same. You can offset this a lot by already having peripherals (Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, headphone/speakers)

Something like a refurbished all-in-one would be more portable, but really you might as well get a laptop at that point.

I might be tempted to recommend those refurbished machines to someone on a really tight budget. But if you didn't want to get a used system here are a few decent deals: https://www.techbargains.com/category/359/computers/laptops

That $400 one isn't too bad for browsing and multimedia. Not a huge fan of spinning drives in ultrabooks, but you get what you pay for.

computerbroken

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017

what do you mean

see 'best value = highest performance/gains to cost ratio' on main post

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, we understand that.
"value" varies. Your value is not my value.

However...we do not really know what you are looking for.

Give us an actual number, rather than nebulous words.

kanewolf

Titan

@USAFRet already provided the answer, a working PC that cost you nothing It has an infinite performance to price ratio. That is YOUR criterion -- performance / price. You won't beat a FREE computer with anything paid for.

computerbroken

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from computerbroken : "what's best value laptop for mainly chrome use, and very few desktop stuff rarely"

what's best value laptop for mainly chrome use, and very few desktop stuff rarely

looking for best value in 2017

best value = highest performance/gains to cost ratio

main use is chrome,, use very few desktop stuff rarely

was advised to get laptop cos

needed something that is good for moving often (from nyc to sf for example) / travelling

True, but for price/performance I would stay away from a Mac and I say that as a MacBook Pro owner. For what you would pay for a MacBook you could a Windows laptop with better specs for less money and have upgrade options in the future. Have you looked at the laptop suggested by USAFRet?

Status
Not open for further replies.