gettin a 3.2 Prescott soon, tips on avoiding heat?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yeh, if you want to avoid excessive heat, get a Northwood core 3.2. They're faster in most applications anyway.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
listen to crashman.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

cheepgeek

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2004
ya, crashman seems to be right yet again, but in the off chance you're not going to listen to him, make sure you get a power supply that can handle the load of the system without getting too hot itself. that things in the case too and it gets plenty hot sittin 2 inches away from the CPU. get a case fan or 2 and i'm gonna pick up a PCI slot "system cooler"... just another fan that fits in a PCI slot and sucks air out.
there isn't to much you can do to keep the CPU itself cool, but if you keep the rest of the system cooler it will be better

RichPLS

Champion
Embrace the heat of thy Prescott! Do not be afraid, for it has larger thermal envelope, and heat is good for thy soul.
It must be better and faster, for it is hotter! Fry away, baby!

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

AznAnarchy99

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2004
yea i problem is that i got the prescott already because it was on sale at a local retailer. ok right now i have a 350 watt power supply and plannin on getting a new case soon with a 420watt antec silent psu. can my psu currently run...
P4 3.2E
ECS mobo (planning on upgrading to ASUS)
9800 Pro
40 gig WD
120 gig WD
audigy 2 ZS
pci cooling fan
2-3 standard fans.. (dont know how big but smaller than 80mm)

aslo im getting the artic silver 5 thermal compound for my cpu and my cpu is a socket 478 if that matters

RichPLS

Champion
Yes, if it is a good 350watt one, but the 420watt Antec will be better

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
if u remove the stock thermal pad and use that other crap it will run hotter. read the god damn review on this website.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The stock thermal interface material from Intel is pretty good. Only mess with Arctic Silver (and the likes) if you're taking your heatsink on and off a lot or you're using a better heatsink than stock (which would be recommended).

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
To avoid heat, don't get Prescott! Get Northwood, Dothan or Athlon 64! You can't avoid heat issue with Prescott, they produce nearly 100 Watts at full load by design!

Put a 100 Watts lighting bulb in a PC case for a couple of hour! The air in the case will get very hot, unless you install big fans!

-
A7N8X / <font color=green><b>Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green> <- <i>Is this affecting my credibility?</i>
Kingston DDR333 2x256Megs
<font color=red>Radeon 8500 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290 <- <i>It's enough for WoW!</i>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Put a 100 Watts lighting bulb in a PC case for a couple of hour! The air in the case will get very hot, unless you install big fans!
Yeah, but a couple of 120mm case fans and a good CPU heatsink should do the trick. :)

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
ok you deserve to be called a newb for that, so ill take the liberty

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
Brand name whores are stupid!

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I would recommend getting a coolermaster hyper6 heat sink and fan. They are apparently really good, although a little on the pricy side. Bear in mind that if you dont use intels hsf and thermal pad then you void your warrenty.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I really don't care what you call me, and why would it matter anyway? I am a NEWB! What did I say that was so stupid? If I made that big of a mistake, then I need to know so that I can correct it. Ive heard many people say that the Thermal material that comes with the intel CPU's is pretty good. Based on that, wouldnt it be better for someone new to use the Intel paste? For someone new, scrapping paste off is just one more way to screw something up.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Bear in mind that if you dont use intels hsf and thermal pad then you void your warrenty.
The last time that I checked (which was with a Northwood C) you're wrong. Intel's boxed processor warranty allows you to use other heatsinks and thermal interface materials and remain in warranty. (Overclocking is a completely different matter of course.)

The last time that I checked however, AMD on the other hand doesn't allow this. In fact AMD was even working on restricting your choices of TIM last I checked.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
lol dude, you typed in caps, tahts all I meant. sorry :p

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
Brand name whores are stupid!

RichPLS

Champion
Oh, yeah, just wait till he catches you outside of the forum!

AznAnarchy99

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2004
ummm im not talking about scraping off any thermal paste for a new one...the cpu and mobo wont arrive for a few days and ive read around and heard that prescotts over heat alot. im just asking for some advice to avoid the heat a bit.

so is artic silver better than the stock paste that comes with? and should i use the stock heatsink?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Tom's showed in their testing that the stock thermal interface material is SUPERIOR to most paste, even ASIII can't equal it until after the ASIII breakin period. So you're on the right track leaving the original stuff on there.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
How about going with a BTX case like Intel recommends? If not, make sure you run 2 intake and 2 exhaust fans.
Front = intake blowing across hard drive(s)
Side = intake blowing down on motherboard
Rear = exhaust, hopefully at GPU vicinity
Top = exhaust(power supply fan or otherwise)
80mm will do. If you go with 120mm then (3) will do
Caution! My last XOXIDE case (Batman) has two 120mm fans and the damn thing is TOO LOUD. The latest X-Infinity has 4 - 80mm fans and is fairly quiet. Weird!

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot