gettin a 3.2 Prescott soon, tips on avoiding heat?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I knew it was the case for AMD CPU's, I just made the assumption that the same was true for the P4's. My bad.
No worries. Technology aside, it's one of the few things that still bugs me about AMD. Say that I want a very quiet PC. (Which I personally do and am working on.) With Intel I can build my own system, use an ultra-quiet high-end air HSF, and still have a retail warranty. Even though AMD has cooler CPUs that this would work even better for, they have a CPU warranty restriction that prevents me from going that route. :\ Goofy, no? AMD still needs to work on a few things.

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Tom's showed in their testing that the stock thermal interface material is SUPERIOR to most paste, even ASIII can't equal it until after the ASIII breakin period. So you're on the right track leaving the original stuff on there.
THG's and various people's personal experiences all point to Intel's stock TIM being pretty top-notch stuff. I'm currently using it. I'll probably switch to AS when I upgrade my heatsink. It's downright simple to use too. :) I wonder if one could just buy a sheet of Intel's stock TIM...

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Caution! My last XOXIDE case (Batman) has two 120mm fans and the damn thing is TOO LOUD. The latest X-Infinity has 4 - 80mm fans and is fairly quiet. Weird!
It depends entirely on the fans that you use. High RPM fans make noise. Low RPM fans don't. The advantage of 120mm fans is that at low RPMs (and thus low noise) they move a lot more air than 80mm fans at the same noise level.

I've got an Antec Sonata case with two low-RPM 120mm fans and a quiet PSU and when those fans are running by themselves you wouldn't even know it was on with your ear just a foot from the case. (The CPU and video fans however make the PC much more audible, which will likely be the center of my next ugprade.)

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
Yeah, on my prescott I am using the stock retail heatsink and fan, runs at about 40-45 degrees Centigrade with no problems at all, but I have been thinking of upgrading them recently.

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
why would u upgrade them? you people waste so much god damn money on fans and power supplies its unbelievable. why do u care if the cpu burns up? that's why it has a warranty(and it can't burn up but that's not the point). use the stock [-peep-], go play doom3, and quit asking the same damn question over and over. if they warranty it with the [-peep-] they send you it must work. if u want to be super cool use a chassis they reccomend. also you don't need a 500 watt power supply. you amd guys crack me up the most with your super cheep cpu and motherboard. 500 watt expensive as hell power supply. super expensive cooler. super expensive case. 10 case fans. by the time you're done you defeated the purpose unless making a computer that's as loud as a jet airplane was your goal.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
why would u upgrade them? you people waste so much god damn money on fans and power supplies its unbelievable.
Personally, I'm looking at upgrading to reduce the noise produced so that I can hear my games better, leave my PC running without realizing it, etc. Silence is golden. I may even try undervolting my CPU some time ... that is, if I don't OC it first. :O

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
Silence is golden. I may even try undervolting my CPU some time ... that is, if I don't OC it first. :O

yea, i built my pc for silence. and its undervolted so i can run my fans lower

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
Brand name whores are stupid!