News Gettin' Steam-y: EA Games, Origin Cross-Platform Play Coming to Steam

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
This is definitely good news for both EA and Valve. EA's reliance on the Frostbite engine means the Epic store's benefits aren't as relevant to them. The larger audience of Steam matters.

However, EA hasn't produced a game worth playing in a long time. I've participated in many beta demos over the years. EA games tend to combine all the worst aspects of gaming into over-monetized products. I simply don't have the time to play EA games because they demand too much of it.

howardp6

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
This is definitely good news for both EA and Valve. EA's reliance on the Frostbite engine means the Epic store's benefits aren't as relevant to them. The larger audience of Steam matters.

However, EA hasn't produced a game worth playing in a long time. I've participated in many beta demos over the years. EA games tend to combine all the worst aspects of gaming into over-monetized products. I simply don't have the time to play EA games because they demand too much of it.
I would not buy another EA Games product, whether it is on Origin or Stream. The last game I purchased was Mass Effect Andromeda, it had some issues, most were fixed, EA Games dropped the game beacuse of the bad press. Anthem came out, with a lot of issues. Until EA Games comes out with a product that works and is supported I will not buy any of their products.

Reactions: bigdragon

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
The Steam page for Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order contains the following:
Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: EA on-line activation and Origin client software installation and background use required.
It looks like buying an EA game from Steam basically gets you the game on Origin, with the option of launching it through Steam via Origin. Same as with Uplay.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I would not buy another EA Games product, whether it is on Origin or Stream. The last game I purchased was Mass Effect Andromeda, it had some issues, most were fixed, EA Games dropped the game beacuse of the bad press. Anthem came out, with a lot of issues. Until EA Games comes out with a product that works and is supported I will not buy any of their products.
The last EA game I bought was Battlefield 3 way back in 2011. I've participated in many beta demos since then, but haven't put money into any EA game since. The games are released unfinished, over-monetized, too grindy, too much work, not adequately entertaining, and commonly get wrecked by patches. I don't think EA makes games for regular players anymore -- they make games for full-time gamer streamers. I'm unwilling to dedicate that amount of time and money to an entertainment product.

Sadly, everything I'm reading about what EA has planned indicates that they're doubling down on live services and only teaming up with Steam for the larger install base. Epic gives discounts for Unreal Engine use. EA's reliance on Frostbite means Epic does not provide an expense/royalty advantage. I was hoping EA would reinvent itself or try to change direction based on this news. =/

TRENDING THREADS