Gettin super Low speeds at USB 3.0 (27 MBps max)!!

gam0reily

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Hello,

Sorry if it isn't the right forum.

But I am having trouble transferring my files via USB 3.0 from my External drive, a seagate GoFlex 500GB to my laptop, an HP Pavilion g6-2005AX.

I am new to USB 3.0, since I got this lappy today itself. So, I did a normal copy-paste to my laptop's hard disk, and the speeds were dismal.

I am averaging out at 22 MBps, with the max going upto 27MBps only!!

please help! What is that have I missed? ANy driver? I am at a dead end ryt now.

Thx in advance

Xenturion

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Sounds like someone is getting USB 2.0 speeds. Is the external hard drive actually USB 3.0 capable? If so, are you going from the Blue USB port on the Hard Drive to a Blue USB port on your laptop?

gam0reily

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
yeah, its usb 3 compatible, the hdd. and I have connected it to the usb 3 port as it says on my laptop. Although I to found it odd not to have a blue port which is generally for a usb 3 port.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Frankly the speeds don't seem that unreasonable for a low RPM hard drive do they? It may be limited by the drive itself rather than USB; HDD makers have, in the past, always been shameless about touting their 'new' interface speed when the innards of the drive are not capable of getting near the bandwidth limitations of the 'old' interface.

SATA3 (6Gb/s) HDDs for example, one doesn't need a Sata3 interface for an HDD, even though (I'm fairly sure) Sata1 has more bandwidth than most can use in real world applications.

No, it doesn't have to be blue. Although most of them are blue but I have seen a few in other colour and have the USB 3.0 SS logo on it.

Check write cache is turned on and USB controller mode is on xHCI in bios.

Hi :)

As far as I know, the international standard for USB says..not blue = not usb3 (to paraphrase)

Every motherboard we have used has blue...

All the best Brett )

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
As mentioned before it could be a slow hard drive in a USB 3 enclosure.

try direct connecting the HDD to another computer and check the transfer rate via SATA, this will determine if the HDD or the enclosure is causing the bottleneck.

HP DV6, DV7, Lenovo E430, I can confirm those definitely have black/grey USB 3.0 port wit SS logo.

I think it is a laptop thing to not put blue on USB 3.0 port so that it matches the chassis colour for design reason.

@PO, the laptop you have has 2x USB 3.0 port and 1x USB 2.0 port. Make sure you connect the HDD to the USB 3.0 port (on the left hand side of the chassis).

Someone did a nice review on the exact laptop:

http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/reviews/158652-hp-pavilion-g6-2005ax-review-benchmarks.html

Guess Dell does not care for standards either. Black USB3.

Just so you know when usb 2.0 came out almost all usb2 ports had been blue as well. as it becomes common, it will go back to black just like usb2 did

Most of the people I know don't even know there are different generations of USB specification. So instead of making it blue to stand out, they may as well make it normal and not alarm the average consumer who find this "confusing".

Many companies cheap out like that.

USB3 cables can be identified by the extra 5 connectors in the plug it self(the other end also is wider or taller depending on the plug type.).

usb3_connector.jpg

You can also see what the micro connector looks like. They just added to the side of the normal USB2 connector to keep it compatible.
http://semiaccurate.com/2010/01/06/micro-usb3-connector-turns/

Yeah, that could happen. Those Seagate GoFlex drives are designed to have exchangeable interface (FW, USB 2.0, 3.0, eSATA and I think TB as well. Some mindless employee can just grab a USB 2.0 drive and give it to you.