Getting 200Hz w/ GF4 4200

RatLabGuy

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I have a GF4 Ti 4200 card w/ 128 m, which I am attempting to run at 200 Hz refresh (I know thsi seems ungodly fast). Have a very sweet monitor w/ specs to do this (LG 915 Plus) at 640/480, confirmed straight off the DDC with PowerStrip.
For soem reason, '98 is maxing out at 170 Hz, both when set to "optimal" and as options. Supposedly this card will do up to 240 Hz... even if I use Entech's MultiRes to set it, my options only go up to 170.
As far as I can tell, the monitor driver specs allow up to 200. Also have latest GF drivers from Visiontek.
Any suggestions as to what's goping on, or more preferrably, how I can get this pulled off?

Question Reality - Its a lot less real than you think

dhlucke

Polypheme
I'm speechless. I'm not even sure what to say to you.

<font color=red>I'd like to dedicate this post to all my friends, family, and fans. Without them this post would never have been possible. Thank you!</font color=red>

RatLabGuy

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I really don't care about the color.... however, it *seems* that the nVidia nView drivers require 256+, b/c if I set it to 16, I have to reboot and all the nView stuff is gone.At least can somebody help me with this - how can I read/write a driver for the card so as to make sure that the card driver specifies 200+, as the monitor driver does?
I can use PowerStrip to make my own monitor driver (which is also easy to read) so I know it does it fine....

starvinmarvin

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
I'm very curious here. What is the benefit of running at 200Hz refresh rate ? I mean the default setting of 60Hz produces flicker that I can see, but at 75Hz or above the picture seems perfectly stable with no discernible flicker. So why go so high ? I believe a really high setting impairs performance of the card. My own Ti4200 turns in good benchmark scores at 75Hz refresh rate. Above this setting the results begin to go down a little (but I never tried 200Hz).
Regards

RatLabGuy

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I had a feeling somebody would ask - I know this seems odd.
Yeah, the 75-80 Hz range is typically okay, b/c this is getting into the limits of the so-called "critical flicker frequency" of the human visual system (primarily in the eye), at which receptors can catch a gap/change in stimulation....
Anyhow, I am using this machine as part of a setup in a perception/neurophysiology lab at a madical center. One of the things we're working with is the "threshold" ability to discriminate the appearance of different visual objects over time... it turns out that, for a this task ("which comes first"), the threshold (i.e., ~70% acc) is around 20-30 miliseconds.
Working on such a small time scale, its pretty important to have "tight" temporal resolution - at 100Hz, you can only work in 10 ms steps... the jump between in performance between 30 and 40 ms is pretty big. 200Hz gives twice that resolution (5 ms)...
Since my "stimuli" are just text "O"s, low res and color depth are fine (key is high fi timing).

Now, I've gotten to where I can set this with PowerStrip, and it does 200 fine.... but the stupid Windows driver won't allow it.... help?

starvinmarvin

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
Hmm, will tell you what little I know from experience and you can decide if it's any help to you. First, every graphics card will support a certain range of refresh rates for a chosen resolution. At lower resolutions, say 640x480 and below, the highest refresh rates are available. Conversely, at higher refresh rates, say 1600x1200 and above, the available refresh rates are lower/slower. Secondly, every different monitor has its own range of viable refresh rates which again vary with the resolution setting, i.e. to get highest refresh rates you must choose lowest resolution settings. Expensive monitors (we used to call them "data-grade") MAY support higher refresh rates than cheap monitors. Third, some software with graphic content actually runs as fast or slow as the refresh rate and will crash/freeze/fail if that rate is too high. I am not personally aware of what limitations, if any, that Windows has regarding extremely high refresh rates. Perhaps at Windows support online one of the gazillion Knowledge Base articles can shed additional light here...... When I got my present computer I arbitrarily chose to install 512MB of RAM. A fortuitous choice, as later I discovered that 512MB is the maximum that the operating system will accept. The point is that there are many ceilings or limitations in various versions of Windows that may not be readily apparent.......at least to an ignorant peasant such as I.

Regards