[SOLVED] Getting 3-4 internet random disconnections every day - ISP blames ME

Pilotito

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
Getting 3-4 internet random disconnections every day, last average around 20-30 seconds.

I have a LAN with several PCs and a Wi Fi modem connected to the same switch every PC is.

When this happens, lights on the modem are ok, so it's like my ISP just stop sending/receiving packets some seconds. Also noticed on Wi Fi.

My ISP told me they're no detecting anything abnormal on their end and "it must be a local problem".

This happens randomly, even when just 1 PC is turned on.

Sounds like ISP is just having troubles and they're blaming me incorrectly. I need to prove they're wrong. Suggestions?

Solution
If the modem has wifi it is better to call it a router. It has a modem and router in the same box.

Is this a DSL connection or a cable connection. Devices with cable modems in them generally have logs that show if you are getting error on the connection.

What you need to do to prove to the ISP it is their problem is to show that you can ping the router IP but you can not ping the ISP IP. You will need to do a tracert to some IP like 8.8.8.8 to get the ISP first router. It should be in hop 2 on the trace.

They might still try to blame your equipment since it could be a issue with the modem (not very common) or some issue with the wires that are inside you house (also not very common). This is where renting a modem helps...

Pilotito

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
Direct WiFi ? What do you mean?
Does your modem have Ethernet ports?

Exactly. My modem is connected to a switch by ethernet port, and every single PC is also connected to the same switch.

And it's Wi Fi, so for instance I have my phone connected to the modem using Wi Fi.

When the problem appears, my phone also loses connection (meaning, cannot send/receive anything).

If the modem has wifi it is better to call it a router. It has a modem and router in the same box.

Is this a DSL connection or a cable connection. Devices with cable modems in them generally have logs that show if you are getting error on the connection.

What you need to do to prove to the ISP it is their problem is to show that you can ping the router IP but you can not ping the ISP IP. You will need to do a tracert to some IP like 8.8.8.8 to get the ISP first router. It should be in hop 2 on the trace.

They might still try to blame your equipment since it could be a issue with the modem (not very common) or some issue with the wires that are inside you house (also not very common). This is where renting a modem helps because they do not want to blame their equipment. In most cases like if they can't find the problem remotely you have to have them come out. This is where you need to be as sure as you can be that there is no issue getting into the router and you have checked your wiring the best you can.

Reactions: Pilotito
Solution

Pilotito

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012

They might still try to blame your equipment since it could be a issue with the modem (not very common) or some issue with the wires that are inside you house (also not very common). This is where renting a modem helps because they do not want to blame their equipment. In most cases like if they can't find the problem remotely you have to have them come out. This is where you need to be as sure as you can be that there is no issue getting into the router and you have checked your wiring the best you can.

Thank you so much for the reply. I have tracert ready the next time it happens. Yes, it could be a wiring problem or router problem, but it's unlikely. Problem is so random that makes no sense. Besides, the modem lights are ok, there's no let's say, a physical disconnection.

I'll tracert the next time it happens and check the results. Thanks!

Thank you so much for the reply. I have tracert ready the next time it happens. Yes, it could be a wiring problem or router problem, but it's unlikely. Problem is so random that makes no sense. Besides, the modem lights are ok, there's no let's say, a physical disconnection.

I'll tracert the next time it happens and check the results. Thanks!
Running a trace route won't help you ping point the offending hardware.
If you want to convince your ISP that it is on their end, you will have to connect a PC to their provided modem.
Otherwise they will blame you. Since ISPs do not support other network devices besides their devices..