Getting 5 short beeps CPU failure!

Bogdan

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
I've tried searching for this but I've run out of ideas.

I have a
gigabyte gaming b8 rev 1.0 mobo
Intel i5 7600k cpu
Coolermaster hyper 212 CPU cooler
Corsair 2x4gb 2400mhz ram
Gigabyte gtx 1060
Corsair cx750m PSU

On boot I get the 5 short beep code which means CPU failure.

So I've done the following:
1) removed vcard and tried using onboard graphics
- left vcard out
2) tested CPU in another PC - it works
3) reset CMOS by jumping pins
4) checked and inspected mobo CPU pins and seating of CPU seems fine

The ram is brand new I haven't tested it yet but is there a point when error is CPU failure?

PSU is also brand new. Not tested.

I could also try my other CPU an i7 7700k on this gaming b8 board but I don't really see a point plus it's an expensive CPU to tinker with.

Any suggestions?

Solution
Thank you for the link rocktalkrock it helped a lot. I didn't think to search 5 long beeps instead of 5 short. They sound long but manual says only 5 short exists.

The solution was in there. It was actually my ram (despite the 'cpu failure' code"). I re-seated the ram into new slots (1 and 2) and it booted right up. It should have worked in the other slots as well (3 and 4) according to manual and visually it was fully seated well. I'm going to assume bad contact due to dust or something in a ddr 4 slot.

Hope this helps other in the future. Good luck!

Bogdan

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
Thank you for the link rocktalkrock it helped a lot. I didn't think to search 5 long beeps instead of 5 short. They sound long but manual says only 5 short exists.

The solution was in there. It was actually my ram (despite the 'cpu failure' code"). I re-seated the ram into new slots (1 and 2) and it booted right up. It should have worked in the other slots as well (3 and 4) according to manual and visually it was fully seated well. I'm going to assume bad contact due to dust or something in a ddr 4 slot.

Hope this helps other in the future. Good luck!

Solution