Getting 6 mb/s on Steam with Ethernet and 200 Megabit Wifi

Jerosammy

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
I don't think 6 mb/s is anything to complain about, but when I pay for 200 megabit Wifi and am only getting 6 mb/s it's kinda annoying.

I know that megabits are smaller than megabytes, but I feel I should be getting at least double digits on downloads with Ethernet. On a speedtest
I am getting 100 megabits/s, which is still pretty damn fast and definitely over 5 megabytes/s.
Does anybody know what I can do to make my downloads faster?

Solution
What speed do you actually purchase from your ISP. The wifi speed means nothing really.

Speedtest is a file download it just does not save the file. If you get 100mbps on speedtest you should get similar number on other downloads...of course you have to be careful to covert bits/bytes.

Try a download from some large software sites like microsoft. It could be a issue with steam or the path your traffic takes to get to steam. Steam can do really strange stuff at times.
What speed do you actually purchase from your ISP. The wifi speed means nothing really.

Speedtest is a file download it just does not save the file. If you get 100mbps on speedtest you should get similar number on other downloads...of course you have to be careful to covert bits/bytes.

Try a download from some large software sites like microsoft. It could be a issue with steam or the path your traffic takes to get to steam. Steam can do really strange stuff at times.

Solution
wifi advertised speeds are tested under conditions that aren't going to ever happen in real use.
comparing 0 to -30dB speeds drop about 75% or more. You would have to place your device on the router to get -30dB. line of site from 8ft is about -50dB.
clients are usually behind on wifi tech. so they can't take advantage of near the full band that the wifi ap/router can do.
some of the $800 flagship phones have 2x2 or 4x4 mimo.