[SOLVED] Getting a 2nd 1440p gaming monitor

RR1188

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Hi guys,

I am in a bit of a dilemma. I just upgraded my GPU to a GTX 1660 Ti since my old 780 Ti died. I was only planning on gaming on 1080p with my current monitor (Asus MX299Q, 29” Ultrawide, 2560x1080 60Hz IPS) but after doing some research online, I find that my new card is capable of playing on 1440p resolution over 60 fps. I’ve never played on a 144hz gaming monitor and I really want to experience it. I plan on using my gaming monitor as my primary monitor and my 29” as my secondary for watching movies, or browsing while playing games. I don’t do any movie editing or photoshop work nor do I plan to in the future.

So I’m looking for a 144Hz gaming monitor, but I don’t know which one to get (whether to get a 1080p or a 1440p one, and whether I should get one with g-sync or not). I want to play on 1440p and I don’t really need to play at ultra settings with everything turned on and get over 100 fps, but definitely I want to play on high setting with some effects turned on and get over 100 fps. But if that’s a problem, then I don’t mind getting a 1080p monitor to maintain a high framerate. Of course, I want to get the best value hardware for my money. My budget is about $550.

My current specs are:
Intel i7-4770k @ stock
Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero m-ATX
Galax GTX 1660 Ti 1-click OC
16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3

Thanks beforehand.

Solution
I'll be honest. Unless you are fine with dropping some settings down, significantly, at 1440p, you're not going to come anywhere near 100+fps on that CPU and graphics card.

I'd advise that it would be best to stick with a 1080p 144hz display unless you plan to upgrade the platform sometime in the near future.

At 1080p you can likely do much better. It's also a good idea to try and target Freesync monitors, since they are significantly less expensive than G sync. Your best bet is to look through the list of community approved G-sync compatible Freesync monitors here:

https://www.esportstales.com/tech-t...patible-freesync-monitors-tested-by-community

And then find a model that is the size and resolution...
I'll be honest. Unless you are fine with dropping some settings down, significantly, at 1440p, you're not going to come anywhere near 100+fps on that CPU and graphics card.

I'd advise that it would be best to stick with a 1080p 144hz display unless you plan to upgrade the platform sometime in the near future.

At 1080p you can likely do much better. It's also a good idea to try and target Freesync monitors, since they are significantly less expensive than G sync. Your best bet is to look through the list of community approved G-sync compatible Freesync monitors here:

https://www.esportstales.com/tech-t...patible-freesync-monitors-tested-by-community

And then find a model that is the size and resolution you like, and look at professional reviews until you settle on something. Rtings, Tom's hardware and Techspot are good sources for reliable monitor reviews.

Solution