[SOLVED] Getting a below average score on my 3080 on 3D Mark time spy. Anyone help?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 15, 2021
Hi guys,

I'm score below average on my 3080 with a Ryzen 7 2700. Compared to other withthe same CPU they are scoring 16000 while im at 14000. Can anyone explain this?

Link to 3D Mark Test: http://www.3dmark.com/spy/18351650

Specs:
MB: MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700
RAM: TForce 4x8GB 32GB @ 3,000Mhz
GPU: MSI RTX 3080 TRIO X
CASE: InWin 925
FANS: InWin ASL 120 (9 fans)
Monitor: BenQ 1080p
PSU: 1000W EVGA

Solution
So what should i do with the GPU Thermal? Can u surprass the 350W limit and should i?
1)You experiment - be it gpu fan curves or chassis fan setup - to see if you can't get it to run even a few degrees cooler.

2)That's the hard limit for that card: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/225502/msi-rtx3080-10240-200901
You won't be able to go over that without flashing a different vbios. There don't appear to be any compatible higher power limit bios available for it - not that it would be a good thing; a higher power limit demands better cooling.

I just want it to perform as it should.

I just clicked on the link and you are right it is within 5 percent. So does that mean people who are 16k are water cooling? I'm...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Use bios to control cpu cooler and chassis fans, and Afterburner for gpu.

Yes i use my main SSd to install games that i play often and other games i used the other SSD. I was installing BF2 today on my WD m.2 and the lag occurred. I was installing lego star wars on the WD a awhile back it happened as well. I completely installed windows and went to steam to install and the lag happened.
It's easy for Gen 4 NVMes to throttle if cooling isn't adequate. But if the Gen 3 is also choking up...:unsure:
Is the PCIe link speed for the WD drive set to auto? If so, manually set it to Gen 3.

How come my MSI Afterburner only detects 2 fans when there should be 3 because i have 9 fans.
I suspect 2 of the 3 fans are daisy-chained.

Jan 15, 2021
Use bios to control cpu cooler and chassis fans, and Afterburner for gpu.

Ah this makes sense, okay i have uninstalled dragon center lool and set up speeds on BIOS for CPU.

I suspect 2 of the 3 fans are daisy-chained.

MY MSI 3080 TRIO X has 3 fans and one of them is daisy-chained? that is soo weird but okay

Is the PCIe link speed for the WD drive set to auto? If so, manually set it to Gen 3.

How do i do this?

Jan 15, 2021
just downloaded it myself to take a look... couldn't use it though, because I have nothing compatible with it.
The Release Notes say it supports Windows 7-10.

You downloaded dragon center (UPM version)?

If you scroll down, it says mystic light 3 :
SUPPORT MODEL:
  • Motherboard:
  • (Only for Windows 8 / Windows 7 User)
This is what im talking about.

But i just installed dragon center afterwards and did this View: https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/jkb39h/tutorial_how_to_remove_the_bloat_from_dragon/

this is a great tool kit to slim down the bloat.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You downloaded dragon center (UPM version)?

If you scroll down, it says mystic light 3 :
SUPPORT MODEL:
  • Motherboard:
  • (Only for Windows 8 / Windows 7 User)
This is what im talking about.

But i just installed dragon center afterwards and did this View: https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/jkb39h/tutorial_how_to_remove_the_bloat_from_dragon/

this is a great tool kit to slim down the bloat.
No, I scrolled down to Mystic Light 3, downloaded, unzipped it, read the Readme, installed it, and then tried to run it knowing it wouldn't work, and it didn't.

Well, it's great that you found an alternative; normal Dragon Center is trash: bloatware, and it likes to 'improve performance' without even asking you.

Jan 15, 2021
No, I scrolled down to Mystic Light 3, downloaded, unzipped it, read the Readme, installed it, and then tried to run it knowing it wouldn't work, and it didn't.

That is so weird because when i installed mystic light 3, it said platform was not supported (assuming that im running windows 10).

Any ways thank you on this!

Will the dragon center frozr ai cooling and monitor functionality overright the BIOS settings for the fan control i did?

Jan 15, 2021
Great post man, didn't know how to reply right away LooL, needed some time to digest. I do have a Stock cooler for my 2700. Would you recommend on OC, or perhaps upgrading to a Ryzen 7 5800x? I do plan to watercool in the future, just not right now.

Your post gave alot of perspective, thank you!

Jan 15, 2021
Those Gen 4 SSDs are dumb with the kind of cooling they need: active cooling, and location is important - installing it in the slot just above the gpu is like the worst place for it, if you put it there.
I watched a MP600 cooling test from Kitguru yesterday. It was a review for the custom liquid model, but the air cooled models were also included in their test.

I just installed HWIN to detect temps on my m.2 and while installing a game the MP is at 36C, WD at 40C (seems to be staying there as normal temps were 38C but this makes sense as it's being used). However, now im not expericing any slugish so it's doubtful that it's the m.2, correct?