Getting a motherboard upgrade. Keeping OEM windows activation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob is building

Honorable
Jun 21, 2015
So my original motherboard (a G45 express chipset from 2007~) doesn't support overclocking, only supports LGA 775, and has a maximum of 300W. It needs replacing pronto. The thing is, the windows is a OEM copy, so the key is bound to the motherboard. Now I heard that if you phone up Microsoft and tell them that the old motherboard broke, and you bought a new one and now windows wont work, they often just give you a new code and disable your old code?

Will this still work in the windows 10 era? If so has anyone done this before? As soon as the old windows key is disabled will my current windows install just break? I'm talking about this original article:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1702524/upgrade-motherboard-oem-windows-serial-key.html

If you have done this before, can you link me to where i'd find the number to call.
Thanks a lot, (this will save me much monies)

EDIT: So I just read that you swap the boards, install windows, and wait until it asks for the key. Then you phone MS. Is this the correct way?

Bob is building

Honorable
Jun 21, 2015

Thanks man. To confirm, they more often than not do not charge you?

USAFRet

Titan

Just calling them for reactivation does not incur a charge.
If, for whatever reason, they won't allow reactivation of that same license with new hardware...you may need to buy a new OS license.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS