Getting a new PC, are these specifications good?

guscc92

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
I am trying to get a new build that will last, I have checked over the internet and reviews on Amazon and built the following specifications. However I need advise if this is a good build and everything will fit or there is something I can improve.

Cw4WKXG.png

Thanks in advance!

Solution
In that last build I would change the PSU and cooler. The CS range are low quality PSU's, they are acceptable for a standard desktop but no good for overclocking or gaming builds. For overclocking and gaming you really want a unit which is very stable, has good protection built in and the components should be good enough to last years of being in a high stress environment. This is a bit old but still a useful guide, get yourself a tier 1 for your overclocking and gaming build http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

As for the cpu cooler the H60 is generally outperformed by equally priced air coolers.

A 750W PSU with a system like that is ridiculously overkill. A 450W unit is perfect, even with overclockin

The build (for gaming) is unbalanced anyway. get a better GPU and a weaker CPU. Get a cheaper motherboard. A more reliable SSD than Adata. And a better PSU, a good 450W unit like the Corsair CX450M which is higher quality than the CX750M.

CryoWolf

Honorable
Aug 20, 2014

What if they want to OC or expand later

With both GPU and CPU overclocking a 450W PSU is fine. If they want to add a 1080 later, they can decide that themselves and it's not something that we should assume. SLI is a bad idea usually to begin with, and statistics show that the number of people who actually SLI is extremely slim, such a puny minority of actual PC gamers.

If he really cares about efficiency or maybe wants the fan running slower, with a good overclock a 550W PSU is fine.

guscc92

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016

The use for my PC will be more for multitasking, databases, work-programs in general like "Process Mapping" and graphs. However, having a good GPU isn't bad since I also game occasionally or when I need to render for an specific task. I also want a very good monitor (Ultra-HD, high resolution).

So my budget is similar to what you see listed and I am struggling between what processor is worth. Also, is having a 2x480GB PNY SSD good, or I am going to have problems running two separate SSD's?

Mexico

guscc92

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
I tried to minimize costs and I could get a cheaper Motherboard of the same brand-series and SSD. In exchange for the money and trying to have the same budget I could get a better GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1070 Superclocked. As for the PSU, I believe this is the best option as for some weird reason 600 & 650 watts are more expensive on my place. However, I am still not very convinced of the processor for the uses I mentioned in the post above.

What do you think of this new build?:

qMbKXev.png

CryoWolf

Honorable
Aug 20, 2014

I never skimp out on the power supply, the corsair one is a T3 power supply and will get you by, but I would lower the wattage to get a better one if you can afford it. A good tier 1 550 watt would be brilliant. I mean you have to see it like a tier 1 bronze is better than a tier 4 gold. The efficiency is just power saving.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

tier list

In that last build I would change the PSU and cooler. The CS range are low quality PSU's, they are acceptable for a standard desktop but no good for overclocking or gaming builds. For overclocking and gaming you really want a unit which is very stable, has good protection built in and the components should be good enough to last years of being in a high stress environment. This is a bit old but still a useful guide, get yourself a tier 1 for your overclocking and gaming build http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

As for the cpu cooler the H60 is generally outperformed by equally priced air coolers.

Solution

CryoWolf

Honorable
Aug 20, 2014

Yeah I would agree with you there, but if he is not overclocking the h60 does a good job, but would require push pull to be effective, as I have it with my 5820K at 4ghz, idle 34 C load 72 with prime 95