Discussion Getting a rig to a different state.

DopplerGamer

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I figured I'd give it a try anyway. I am planning on moving out of state very soon and was wondering if anyone has shared the same experience with me in going about taking their rig with them and if they could offer any sort of advice.

Currently I have a 27 inch monitor and a mid ATX tower (18.5 x 7.9 x 17.9 in), and am at a loss of avenues when it comes to taking it on a flight with me through checked baggage. it seems that this is my only option other than leaving it at my current residence. And currently I have no idea on what to do and how to approach this situation.

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
If you're taking a flight that is a bit tricky, usually those luggage handlers really heave them like everyday is a bad day. What you can do is probably package your desktop and ship it ahead to your new destination? Or the other way would be to unfortunately disassemble your desktop carefully and package them separate and then put those in a luggage bag with enough padding etc... good luck!

kanewolf

Titan
You could ship via traditional methods (UPS, FedEx, etc). Having the original packing materials would be best. If not, take it to a store that does packing and shipping.

YOU remove the heavy items. CPU cooler, graphics card. Pack the card in a static bag. Clean the heatsink and pack it in a plastic bag.

Do you remember the American Tourister "Gorilla" Commercial?
Don't move anything delicate via the airlines.

First, remove all hard drives and take them with you--on your person.

Get some Instapaks and put them in strategic support locations inside the cabinet, and start them expanding. Close-up the cabinet and let them do their thing.

Open the cabinet after they have set-up fully, and add Instapaks, if you need to. This saves having to remove GPUs and HS/Fan assemblies.

If you have liquid cooling hardware installed, remove every bit of it, drain and flush with H2O, and ship separately.

Package the computer chassis and send it ahead with USPS or FedEx.

For the monitor, you can use the original packaging and send it via the same carrier as you use for your computer chassis, or use more Instapaks to protect the device in an appropriately sized shipping container.

Oh, when you ship things like this....insure it heavily.

TRENDING THREADS