[SOLVED] Getting a RTX 3090?

Jul 4, 2018
ok, so I'm saving up right now and with the covid 19 crisis causing problem pretty much everywhere including the gaming industry involving the semi conductors. How do you suggest I go about purchasing one without selling both my legs and arms and also 1 of my kidneys? Only MSRP please. preferably a name-brand with 3 fans.

Solution
The ONLY 30 series models that can be had for Nvidia's MSRP are the Founder's Edition, of which Best Buy is the ONLY official reseller.
Nvida stopped selling them direct from their online store, so instead sell them through BB instead.

There have been 'drops' from there like every 2-3 weeks; I know, because I've been trying - sort of - for the last 3 months. April 2nd had drops - if there's none this week, there will be next week.
Tuesday-Friday. The drops come in very brief 'waves' of 2-3 on one day. Usually in the mornings, 11:00 - 1:00CST.
I had a 3080 in the cart once. 699.99USD. I was too slow though.

If BB isn't a business available in your area...
If you won't settle for anything other than an aftermarket gpu model...
Then you...

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
ok, so I'm saving up right now and with the covid 19 crisis causing problem pretty much everywhere including the gaming industry involving the semi conductors. How do you suggest I go about purchasing one without selling both my legs and arms and also 1 of my kidneys? Only MSRP please. preferably a name-brand with 3 fans.
Pray if you are so inclined .... otherwise wish for good luck.
Join Discord...buy a BOT?

Your guess is as good as mine...

I bought a prebuilt and scavenged the GPU and plan to sell the rest.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The ONLY 30 series models that can be had for Nvidia's MSRP are the Founder's Edition, of which Best Buy is the ONLY official reseller.
Nvida stopped selling them direct from their online store, so instead sell them through BB instead.

There have been 'drops' from there like every 2-3 weeks; I know, because I've been trying - sort of - for the last 3 months. April 2nd had drops - if there's none this week, there will be next week.
Tuesday-Friday. The drops come in very brief 'waves' of 2-3 on one day. Usually in the mornings, 11:00 - 1:00CST.

Then you are stuck with organ purchases.

Solution
Jul 4, 2018

Then you are stuck with organ purchases.
thanks for this info will go to my local BB when i have the money

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
once i get the money i will hop on there faster than any bot in the world
Good luck.

Also:
Have your account set up(shipping/pick up, and payment method saved), be logged in before the hunt; the heavy influx of traffic will stop you from being able to do so - well, that's what happened to me, at least.
Do not refresh too often during the hunt - it'll get you locked out. Instead, it's safer to bounce between your Saved Items list(add the card to that list) and the page of the card you're interested in.

When the card you want has the Add to Cart button pop up, click it, and DO NOT refresh THAT page. You have to wait. The system puts you into a queue of sorts - refreshing the page or hitting the back button will take you out of the queue.
The button will either turn to a yellow Add to Cart, or get stuck on please wait. I've seen that the button can go 1 to a few minutes before it may change.

Next comes the part where they send you a confirmation code via email or text, which you should've already selected in your account. I've heard that text is the faster of the 2, but some have gotten lucky with email...
After that is the payment, and you should be in the clear.

You were too slow/late, if:
-stuck on the Please Wait button for several minutes or more
-after the yellow Add to Cart phase you get sent to a page prompting to select another store

Reactions: Bassman999
Jul 4, 2018
Good luck.

Also:
Have your account set up(shipping/pick up, and payment method saved), be logged in before the hunt; the heavy influx of traffic will stop you from being able to do so - well, that's what happened to me, at least.
Do not refresh too often during the hunt - it'll get you locked out. Instead, it's safer to bounce between your Saved Items list(add the card to that list) and the page of the card you're interested in.

When the card you want has the Add to Cart button pop up, click it, and DO NOT refresh THAT page. You have to wait. The system puts you into a queue of sorts - refreshing the page or hitting the back button will take you out of the queue.
The button will either turn to a yellow Add to Cart, or get stuck on please wait. I've seen that the button can go 1 to a few minutes before it may change.

Next comes the part where they send you a confirmation code via email or text, which you should've already selected in your account. I've heard that text is the faster of the 2, but some have gotten lucky with email...

-after the yellow Add to Cart phase you get sent to a page prompting to select another store
ok i got a game plan what im gonna do instead of waiting 5 years to get a card im going to do the new egg shuffle every day until i get a 3080 or other wise once i get the money.

AppleCider

Prominent
Apr 16, 2021
Good luck.

Also:

Also, if they sell out and you don't get one, a couple more might trickle out a few minutes later. I got the too slow/late section there but a few minutes latter the button went yellow again and i got one.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
cant they just make more semi-conductors? what is the problem?
Haha. No, they can't. TSMC is swamped atm, literally. They are already at max capacity, and then to make things worse, it's drought season, water levels have dropped massively, every company is on water rations, so there's only so much actual processing that can be done.

That's affecting silicon wafer manufacturing, silicon manufacturing, quality of silicon, supply, everything.

Also consider that everyone and their uncles monkey is chasing the same stuff. Sony wants for the Playstation, amd wants for cpus, gpus, Intel wants for cpus, nvidia wants for gpus, Apple wants for cell phones, tablets, you name it, Auto industry wants for GPS, dash boards etc.

Can't just make more. If they did, it wouldn't immediately go to gpus, TSMC has contractual obligations to a bunch of ppl and is spreading everyone thin. Push their buttons, they'll reneg on the contract and you are screwed entirely. Better to get dribbles as they can than nothing at all.

This isn't actually a problem with reduced supply. The supply is still there. The main issue is that cryptocurrency miners are buying up all the graphics cards they can get their hands on to effectively print digital monopoly money that they are conning others into investing in. There are whole warehouses filled with graphics cards running 24/7, wasting electricity and generating cryptocurrency, which itself isn't commonly used for actually buying things, but rather trading for real money. >_>

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Supply is limited. Covid didn't help; fewer people working in those facilities at a time = lower volume production.
On top of that, there's just TSMC and Samsung for those state of the art semiconductors.

The 'problem' is the literally unlimited demand right now.
Automakers need SOCs
More people working from home/stuck at home and need some form of entertainment
AMD, Nvidia, Apple, you name it - all clientele for Samsung and TSMC - have orders for parts to fill consoles, the cpus and gpus, laptops, phones, and so on need them too
The opportunistic sharks(scalpers) are hunting down cards and taking advantage of the shortage where they can
Crypto mining = lucrative. Large scale miners are buying cards direct from AMD and Nvidia partners, and the smaller scale ones trying to get cards wherever they can... basically, we have people who already have the latest and greatest gpus trying to get more of them, and the limit is how much space they have to hoard more and more of those money making gpus.
Oh, can't forget bots - they go up in there somewhere...

worst-case scenario I'm gonna buy a new scalped card from amazon but that will be my last resort.
Good luck is all I can say. This drought could go well into 2024, either until those new fabs can get up and running(they are slow to start), or more governments crack down on the crypto madness.
You might end up biting the bullet on an inflated card if the Good Luck Fairy isn't with you.

This drought could go well into 2024...
There's also the possibility that the mining market could collapse and prices and availability could start improving before the year is through. The last mining run caused similarly-widespread graphics card shortages and reseller price hikes during the latter half of 2017 and the first half of 2018, but prices got back a lot closer to their MSRPs not too long thereafter. The crypto market tends to be extremely volatile, and things like news of increased government regulation or largescale fraud could cause its value to plummet, and people to in turn start flooding the market with used cards. How long it will last is something that's difficult to predict, though I would be surprised if it took anywhere near as long as 2024.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There's also the possibility that the mining market could collapse and prices and availability could start improving before the year is through. The last mining run caused similarly-widespread graphics card shortages and reseller price hikes during the latter half of 2017 and the first half of 2018, but prices got back a lot closer to their MSRPs not too long thereafter. The crypto market tends to be extremely volatile, and things like news of increased government regulation or largescale fraud could cause its value to plummet, and people to in turn start flooding the market with used cards. How long it will last is something that's difficult to predict, though I would be surprised if it took anywhere near as long as 2024.
The last Mining Gold Rush didn't have Covid hampering supply and it had fewer people working from home/stuck at home(also Covid).

Crypto - or Bitcoin(to be a little more specific), is dependent on everyone's confidence in blockchain as a form of currency.
Currently, that confidence has grown to around 60K strong per coin. It was nowhere near that much in 2017-2018; looks like it had stopped just shy of 20K back then, and dropped below 10K.
60K. That's 3x as much. How hard is that going to have to crash..? Even if it 'crashed' to 30K, it would still be profitable to mine, or mine altcoins for trade. The gpu situation probably wouldn't change.

More government action may be taken, but they're not quick about it.
The new fabs? We already know that's not a quick process.

2024 probably is a stretch. I don't know, you don't know - I would be glad to be wrong... but one thing I believe needs to happen is for the 'Greed' to be regulated/banned/put under some kind of leash, or it'll harm everyone; it'll take longer for the wealthy to feel it - hell, they might not feel it at all.

This fudge is wild...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The last rush was also primarily aimed at existing AMD cards, the mid level nvidia didn't do so well and there was enough supply at the time that even top end nvidia didn't see such a bad crunch. Nvidia just wasn't the card to have back then, but anything amd from r9 280 to Rx 480 was scarce.

The only way this epedemic of gpu shortages will come to a screeching halt is if nvidia puts an electrical stoppage on hash rates instead of the semi permanent firmware.

This is a gaming gpu, this is a mining gpu, take your pick, only way to do both is on the open mining gpu.

The last rush was also primarily aimed at existing AMD cards, the mid level nvidia didn't do so well and there was enough supply at the time that even top end nvidia didn't see such a bad crunch. Nvidia just wasn't the card to have back then, but anything amd from r9 280 to Rx 480 was scarce.
AMD's cards were the first to be affected, and saw steeper price hikes overall, but Nvidia's cards followed once availability of those dried up, with most of their cards also reaching roughly double their MSRPs, combined with a similar lack of availability at retail.

The last Mining Gold Rush didn't have Covid hampering supply and it had fewer people working from home/stuck at home(also Covid).
The coronavirus might have caused some notable disruptions during the initial months, and affected overseas shipping of components, but in general I don't think the supply chain is affected all that much at this point. Demand might be somewhat higher, but again, most of those buying components due to the lockdowns and transitioning to work or school at home would have bought their hardware last year when they first needed it, not now. So, I don't see that cause really holding up. It seems to be primarily down to crypto.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The coronavirus might have caused some notable disruptions during the initial months, and affected overseas shipping of components, but in general I don't think the supply chain is affected all that much at this point. Demand might be somewhat higher, but again, most of those buying components due to the lockdowns and transitioning to work or school at home would have bought their hardware last year when they first needed it, not now. So, I don't see that cause really holding up. It seems to be primarily down to crypto.
Yes, supply staggered for a bit, and it's caught up. The problem now, is that demand literally is unlimited.
Automobiles, laptops, phones, consoles, etc... there's demand for chips to go into those, but they all have a ceiling somewhere.
Mining has no limit, except for space; can't keep hoarding 'pickaxes' if you don't have the space.
Just lil ol me alone could probably set up 3 mining rigs at home if I actually tried. That's almost 20(?) cards in the hands of just one person?