Question Getting a safe power strip for multiple 240w PSU's?

Happy2Kill

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2014
Hi folks, I think this is the correct location to post (sorry if it's not) so here goes.

I have a project i'm working on that I won't go into detail about but we will consider it a networking project for this so it's easier to understand. I have 6 computers that have 240w PSU's but draw 180 under max load. I have another four computers of varying power (From 300w-1200w PSU's) but the two 1200w PSU's are overkill and all 4 PC's will max out with a total of 1250w TDP (With the largest PC drawing 525w alone). I know nothing about power bar or power strip ratings or efficiency and I was wondering what the best way to power these is. I will have the six low powered computers and the four mixed computers on separate circuits to make sure nothing blows. Are any $10 power bars sufficient or do I need a higher quality bar? Any advice or insight, either from knowledge or experience would be greatly appreciated!

I don't know about "$10 power bars" in general. That's a pretty cheap price to pay for power protection.

The amount of protection you get is measured in joules. Not the number of PCs you plug into the strip. If you plug one or five PC's into a 70 joule surge protector when a lightning strike hits outside of your house.

Surge protection is not about the load, as if you were purchasing a UPS or AVR, but more about the about of "surge protection".

Happy2Kill

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2014
I don't know about "$10 power bars" in general. That's a pretty cheap price to pay for power protection.

The amount of protection you get is measured in joules. Not the number of PCs you plug into the strip. If you plug one or five PC's into a 70 joule surge protector when a lightning strike hits outside of your house.

Surge protection is not about the load, as if you were purchasing a UPS or AVR, but more about the about of "surge protection".
I just want to make sure that nothing catches fire. Are all power bars able to pass along more than enough electricity until my breaker trips? Surge protection is kind of the least of my concerns, I can always unplug them when im not home or during a storm.