Getting a SATA 6 SSD

Peukon

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade most of my system, and I've settled on ASUS P67 board. And for that I need a good SATA drive. But I don't know if I should wait for the Intel versions, or get a Corsair or Crucial one now.
Any insight and advice would be very appreciated :)

There's always a next generation just around the corner; you can always get a little more speed by waiting. But you have to buy sometime, or you have nothing.

Zen aphorisms aside, if the current generation of hardware meets your needs I would buy now. But that's me. Some people wait for the latest and greatest and buy it the first week out; I wait for stability. So far, I _like_ my 128 GB Crucial RealSSD C300.

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
If you need to buy now get the 128 GB Crucial RealSSD C300.
It at least is a SATA6 SSD and is pointing in the right direction in regards to technology.

It is? Huh. I've got one and I didn't even realize it.

LordConrad

Distinguished
Let's be precise. SATA 6 doesn't exist, I believe you are referring to SATA 3 (also called SATA 6Gb/s).

Corsair just released the Performance 3 series, which are SATA 3 and have faster speeds than the current RealSSD drives.

^5 +1 what LordConrad said.

Just found out this morning Plextor has released new SATA III (6 Gb/s) solid state drives. Don't know if newegg will be selling them.

Intel will definitely be releasing their new 510 series SATA III (6 Gb/s) ssd's this month. They are already available for pre-order in the United Kingdom. I assume anyone in the European Union could pre-order.

There is a lot of confusion in numerous forums about the new Intel 310 series and 510 series ssd's. Posters are getting the terms "generation 2" (G2) and "generation 3" (G3) mixed up. There's also a lot of confusion about the specifications of the Intel 310 and 510 series. The 310 series is SATA II (3 Gb/s) capable while the 510 series is SATA III (6 Gb/s) capable. However, the 510 models have a Marvel controller instead of Intel's own. Lots of speculation why.

Peukon

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Thanks for all the comments guys. With all the hassle of the chipset errors on the P67 boards, I have decided to wait with my motherboard, CPU and SSD upgrade till May. So for now I'll just get a GTX 570 and 8 GB of Vengance RAM for my current rig :)