Getting a SSD, please help with the setup and reuse of old drive.

JohnTHDW

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013
I'm getting a new SSD for a PC that has a regular 7200 HDD with windows 10 on it.

I want to install everything fresh in the SSD, this main HDD will be secondary. All my stuff will be accessible or do I need to enable something before installing the SSD?

Thanks!

Solution
Only icons of programs newly installed on SSD will show up on your desktop but all the files and folders on HDD will be accessible. If you have some folders on HDD that you want to appear on new desktop, you will have to link them (make a shortcut) on new desktop.
Programs on HDD that will not run directly from it will have to be reinstalled pointing to place where they are on HDD as secondary disk. Portable programs should run but you will also have to link them (make shortcuts) to new desktop.

USAFRet

Titan

All your "stuff" will not be accessible.
Any applications on the original drive will need to be reinstalled.
Any files such as video/music/docs....those will be accessible, mostly.

JohnTHDW

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013

This means that folders than are on my "desktop" will appear normally when I add this main HDD as secondary?

Only icons of programs newly installed on SSD will show up on your desktop but all the files and folders on HDD will be accessible. If you have some folders on HDD that you want to appear on new desktop, you will have to link them (make a shortcut) on new desktop.
Programs on HDD that will not run directly from it will have to be reinstalled pointing to place where they are on HDD as secondary disk. Portable programs should run but you will also have to link them (make shortcuts) to new desktop.

Solution