[SOLVED] Getting a system error when booting up from RadeonSettings.exe saying there's a system error due to a missing winmm.dll file - I have no AMD hardware

philipmasters17

Reputable
Sep 7, 2018
Specs:

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI

- 16GB DDR4 RAM

- Intel i5-8400 @ 2.8GHz

- Samsung SSD with Windows 11 installed

- Seagate HDD

So my PC froze whilst I was trying to stream something and I restarted it. Now when I boot, the MSI motherboard BIOS screen loads correctly but Windows just gives me an infinitely long loading dots in the shape of a circle. Then eventually I get an error from RadeonSettings.exe saying there's a system error as winmm.dll cannot be found. Because of this I can't load into my PC, I can only enter BIOS or flash.

Interestingly my Bluetooth headset still auto-connects when I turn my computer on.

The fixes online require running sfscan or entering Windows Safe Mode but I can't do that since I can't actually get into my computer, the only thing I can do is enter BIOS or flash. Any suggestions for fixes?
Looks to me like I may have to completely re-install Windows...

What I find particularly strange is why this is stopping me from booting up. All searches online say this is usually a problem with AMD GPUs or a combination of an AMD CPU and NVIDIA GPU. However, my CPU is Intel and my GPU is NVIDIA so I have absolutely no idea why I even have RadeonSettings.exe nor do I understand why this is stopping me from booting up. Additionally, I don't understand why it randomly happened now not ages ago as I haven't done any updates recently, I haven't installed anything all I did was stream The Simpsons on Disney+, my computer froze and now I can't get back in.

Solution
you can enter Windows Repair Mode by loading from a Windows install package(DVD, USB, etc),
by interrupting the boot process multiple times,
or possibly by spamming F8 during POST.
from there you can access a command prompt or run any automated repair options available.

Windows 11 has been causing many odd problems for users since release, it's possible that the system is just bugged.

if you can access system restore options try reverting to a point before the issue arose.
if not an option and you can't repair the OS;
reinstall fresh and as soon as you get all software and drivers installed create a backup image of the OS drive.
next time 11 bugs out you will have your own personal backup image to restore.

make sure you use software...
you can enter Windows Repair Mode by loading from a Windows install package(DVD, USB, etc),
by interrupting the boot process multiple times,
or possibly by spamming F8 during POST.
from there you can access a command prompt or run any automated repair options available.

Windows 11 has been causing many odd problems for users since release, it's possible that the system is just bugged.

if you can access system restore options try reverting to a point before the issue arose.
if not an option and you can't repair the OS;
reinstall fresh and as soon as you get all software and drivers installed create a backup image of the OS drive.
next time 11 bugs out you will have your own personal backup image to restore.

make sure you use software with incremental backup options so you can keep this restore image up to date for the future.

Solution