[SOLVED] Getting a VGA LED + no video output in top PCIe slot, but works fine in the bottom slot ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2861715
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2861715

Hello these are my parts:

CPU - i5-10400F
GPU - GTX 1660 and GTX 1660 Ti
Motherboard - MSI Z490 Gaming Plus
PSU - be quiet pure power 11 500W

My build was working for at least 2 months without problems. But lately I did a range of things like change around GPUs, cable management and tried installing a noctua cooler but removed it when I realised it didn't fit in the case.

Now when my GPU is plugged into the top PCIe slot I get a white LED light on VGA and no video output. The fans spin. If put it in the bottom slot it works fine. Things I've tried is different GPUs get the same problem. Checked all the cables. I've removed and reinserted the CPU. I even changed the Z490 board around with another of the same type and same issue.

I am baffled by what is causing this. Could it be something crazy like a CPU fault or maybe something in my case shorting specifically the 1st PCIe slot (or does it not work like this).

Anyway I spent around 6-7 hours trying to resolve this yesterday. I'm at loss to what it could be and feeling pretty defeated.

Thanks very much

Solution
Do what helpstar wrote about the BIOS, that could be the issue. Make sure you really reset the BIOS, also it wouldnt be a bad idea to restore the defult settings too.

If that does not help, check if theres a newer BIOS on the web, and if you are willing to take the risk update it. Remember to restore default setting in BIOS before and after you update to the newer version.
Do what helpstar wrote about the BIOS, that could be the issue. Make sure you really reset the BIOS, also it wouldnt be a bad idea to restore the defult settings too.

If that does not help, check if theres a newer BIOS on the web, and if you are willing to take the risk update it. Remember to restore default setting in BIOS before and after you update to the newer version.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2861715

install the GPU in slot 1, reset the BIOS by jumper, try booting
all power cables connected to the GPU and motherboard?

Is the GPU tightly connected and fixated in the slot?
hello helpstar thanks for taking the time to help me.

I tried that yesterday (i think). I took out the battery and put it back in after 5 minutes. Same issue. I'd put the GPU in slot 2 and it would give the black screen for everything has been reset F1 to continue etc.

All cables I've checked many times over. The GPU is tight as it can be, no gold parts visible.

So essentially tried 2 different GPU, 2 different Z490 boards. Checked all the wires over and over. Reseated the CPU. Nothing worked. I called up the retailer that I bought the i5-10400F for troubleshooting. They said it points to the CPU and to RMA it in. So I've just done that and will see what they have to say the fault was or if a new CPU solves the issue. I have my doubts as it worked great for 2 months.

Also worth noting that I was getting this weird problem of no power prior to this issue. I would try powering it on and it wouldn't work. After disconnecting/connecting cables it would work. So I'm not sure what is causing these weird happenings but hopefully a new CPU gives some insight.

D

Deleted member 2861715

I tried that yesterday to no avail. Also installed a brand new Z490 board, same issue. Put the GPU in slot 2 and installed new BIOS. Tried again and that didn't work too.

yohleb

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2013
hello helpstar thanks for taking the time to help me.

I tried that yesterday (i think). I took out the battery and put it back in after 5 minutes. Same issue. I'd put the GPU in slot 2 and it would give the black screen for everything has been reset F1 to continue etc.

All cables I've checked many times over. The GPU is tight as it can be, no gold parts visible.

So essentially tried 2 different GPU, 2 different Z490 boards. Checked all the wires over and over. Reseated the CPU. Nothing worked. I called up the retailer that I bought the i5-10400F for troubleshooting. They said it points to the CPU and to RMA it in. So I've just done that and will see what they have to say the fault was or if a new CPU solves the issue. I have my doubts as it worked great for 2 months.

Also worth noting that I was getting this weird problem of no power prior to this issue. I would try powering it on and it wouldn't work. After disconnecting/connecting cables it would work. So I'm not sure what is causing these weird happenings but hopefully a new CPU gives some insight.
Did new cpu fix it