Getting an SSD, I have a few questions

PWD3Games

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
Hello,

I have a few questions regarding me getting my new SSD,

#1 How would I get Windows 10 on the SSD if it's already installed on my HDD?

#2 (if possible) Could I keep certain files like my CSGO folder, and Steam folder and files that would be hard to retrieve, (my CSGO folder is ~74 GB)

Thanks,
PWD

Solution
You have two options.

1. Clone the HDD to SSD (you may have the reduce the 'used' storage to a size less than the size of the SSD).
ie. If you have 500GB stored on the HDD, and the SSD is 250GB, you need to make sure your HDD is reduced to <250GB before cloning.

2. Create bootable media (USB or disk) and clean install the OS on the SSD.

As for transferring some aspects over, the clone is all or nothing. What I'd suggest is installing W10 clean on the SSD, then using your HDD as mass storage 'as is'. Attach the HDD and redirect any folder locations (steam etc) to the corresponding drive (likely your new 'D' drive).

'Bulk' stored items, music, pics, movies etc will all be useable in this setup.

You'd need to reinstall the vast...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You have two options.

1. Clone the HDD to SSD (you may have the reduce the 'used' storage to a size less than the size of the SSD).
ie. If you have 500GB stored on the HDD, and the SSD is 250GB, you need to make sure your HDD is reduced to <250GB before cloning.

2. Create bootable media (USB or disk) and clean install the OS on the SSD.

As for transferring some aspects over, the clone is all or nothing. What I'd suggest is installing W10 clean on the SSD, then using your HDD as mass storage 'as is'. Attach the HDD and redirect any folder locations (steam etc) to the corresponding drive (likely your new 'D' drive).

'Bulk' stored items, music, pics, movies etc will all be useable in this setup.

You'd need to reinstall the vast majority of your applications (you can install either to the C or D drive) for them to work.

Solution
To add to what Barty already said.

You can do the all or nothing to clone programs but you cant just copy them over. You will have to reinstall them to the SSD (even if you want the physical files to be on the SSD. Most games and programs have a way to export the settings, you will have to research each individual one for that though.

If you want to clone and you have a good amount of free space on HDD:
Go into disk manager and shrink HDD partition.
Create new partition in now unused space
Move folders from OS partition on HDD to the new partition that you DO NOT want to go to SSD
Then you an clone your HDD to your SSD (assuming used space on HDD < total size of SSD).