Question Getting annoyed with xfinity wifi6 please help

Hello all I have gotten to the point of wanting to murder my xfinity router, I know buy a new one.... I will when I have time to do some looking and research.... however the xfinity router I was provided is garbage and no matter what I seem to do or try the wifi 6 just will not stay connected to anything it keeps dropping out saying poor connection even if your sitting on top of it.... I have tried everything I can think of at this point and just wish to shut it off at this point however cannot find a option to do so. All that's provided I. The list of option is 5g and 2g.... I don't wish to disable the 5g just the wifi 6 stuff that does nothing but anger me

Reactions: Exploding PSU

kanewolf

Titan
Hello all I have gotten to the point of wanting to murder my xfinity router, I know buy a new one.... I will when I have time to do some looking and research.... however the xfinity router I was provided is garbage and no matter what I seem to do or try the wifi 6 just will not stay connected to anything it keeps dropping out saying poor connection even if your sitting on top of it.... I have tried everything I can think of at this point and just wish to shut it off at this point however cannot find a option to do so. All that's provided I. The list of option is 5g and 2g.... I don't wish to disable the 5g just the wifi 6 stuff that does nothing but anger me
Try changing the channel width of the 5Ghz to 80Mhz. WIFI6 might try to use 160Mhz channel width.

Reactions: white.a.drew

Blackink

Distinguished
And if what kanewolf suggests doesn't work, contact Xfinity and have them send a tech over.
They'll probably check your lines and connections outside but hopefully the WIFI will be out when they arrive there.

I had a heck of a time with them here a month ago because almost everyday around 9am-ish to 11:30-ish, I'd lose my WIFI. Gone completely.
After that time it might come back but be spotty the rest of the afternoon.

An Xfinity tech Finally installed a new modem, I rent one from them, and I haven't lost my WIFI signal at all since.

Good luck....

Try changing the channel width of the 5Ghz to 80Mhz. WIFI6 might try to use 160Mhz channel width.
And if what kanewolf suggests doesn't work, contact Xfinity and have them send a tech over.
They'll probably check your lines and connections outside but hopefully the WIFI will be out when they arrive there.

I had a heck of a time with them here a month ago because almost everyday around 9am-ish to 11:30-ish, I'd lose my WIFI. Gone completely.
After that time it might come back but be spotty the rest of the afternoon.

An Xfinity tech Finally installed a new modem, I rent one from them, and I haven't lost my WIFI signal at all since.

Good luck....
Thank you both I will have to try when I am home I posted the forum enraged as I walked out my door earlier noticing that yet once again I was on 5g networking not wifi

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you both I will have to try when I am home I posted the forum enraged as I walked out my door earlier noticing that yet once again I was on 5g networking not wifi
5Ghz and 5G are very different things. Make sure you are correctly identifying what connectivity you have.
It is also possible that WIFI6 has introduced WPA3. Not all devices support WPA3. You should verify what encryption you are running. If you are running a "transition" encryption that has WPA3 and WPA2 support, that could be your problem. Return to WPA2 ONLY.

5Ghz and 5G are very different things. Make sure you are correctly identifying what connectivity you have.
It is also possible that WIFI6 has introduced WPA3. Not all devices support WPA3. You should verify what encryption you are running. If you are running a "transition" encryption that has WPA3 and WPA2 support, that could be your problem. Return to WPA2 ONLY.
This seems to be working for the time being thank you

This is why I use an aftermarket Ubiquiti setup. I use WPA2/3 on my guest network and WPA3 on my internal network. If I have devices that aren't compatible with WPA3, I just toss them on my guest network. These are mostly low cost wifi devices like security cameras, older TV's and cheap IOT devices.

OP, do yourself a favor and buy your own modem and your own equipment. It will pay for itself in 1-2 years because Comcast charges $14/mo for their junky router. The only downfall is you have to be your own IT person. So I still recommend renting the modem for old people and very non-tech savvy people.