[SOLVED] Getting back into pc after 8 years, need suggestions.

corin6

Prominent
Nov 6, 2020
Hey guys, after taking long break, my father decides to send me his ole rig since he just upgraded(thanks dad). However the cpu fan fell in packaging and seems to have damaged the gpu. I've been out of the game for quite some time and have no idea what are the best products in the price range, or what used high end models that now have a budget friendly price tag. I'd like to stay under 200 dollars, but some over could be considered. We plan to play video games together again as we live states away. My biggest concern on choice is to get a solid competitive fps on decent settings. Competitive is the key word. I dont need every cutting edge graphic that today's industry offers, but more of a no excuse graphics card. We will be mostly playing wow arena, call of duty titles, and rainbow six titles. Thanks for the help guys. My specs are

Windows 10 64
Motherboard asus rampage II extreme
750 psu
Intel I7 2.64ghz
Previous gpu was nvidia geforce gtx 770

Last edited:
Solution
Hey guys, after taking long break, my father decides to send me his ole rig since he just upgraded(thanks dad). However the cpu fan fell in packaging and seems to have damaged the gpu. I've been out of the game for quite some time and have no idea what are the best products in the price range, or what used high end models that now have a budget friendly price tag. I'd like to stay under 200 dollars, but some over could be considered. We plan to play video games together again as we live states away. My biggest concern on choice is to get a solid competitive fps on decent settings. Competitive is the key word. I dont need every cutting edge graphic that today's industry offers, but more of a no excuse graphics card. We will be mostly...
Hey guys, after taking long break, my father decides to send me his ole rig since he just upgraded(thanks dad). However the cpu fan fell in packaging and seems to have damaged the gpu. I've been out of the game for quite some time and have no idea what are the best products in the price range, or what used high end models that now have a budget friendly price tag. I'd like to stay under 200 dollars, but some over could be considered. We plan to play video games together again as we live states away. My biggest concern on choice is to get a solid competitive fps on decent settings. Competitive is the key word. I dont need every cutting edge graphic that today's industry offers, but more of a no excuse graphics card. We will be mostly playing wow arena, call of duty titles, and rainbow six titles. Thanks for the help guys. My specs are

Windows 10 64
Motherboard asus rampage II extreme
750 psu
Intel I7 2.64ghz
Previous gpu was nvidia geforce gtx 770

I'm going to have to help you adjust your expectations a bit.

Summed up in one sentence, you are not going to transform your PC into a competitive gaming machine with a budget of $200. Not even close. Yes, you can buy a suitable GPU for $200, but the rest of your system is not going to be enough to give you "a solid competitive fps on decent settings."

Regardless of the GPU you install in this system, a 1st Gen i7 processor isn't going to be nearly enough to play a modern game, even at 1080p 60fps. You said you wanted competitive fps; what do you mean by that specifically? What resolution and what fps are you aiming for?

I know you want to buy a reasonably-priced GPU that you can throw in your PC and go have fun on, but the reality is that it is not going to result in the performance you are looking for. I'll recommend you a GPU if you want anyway, but unfortunately it looks like you're going to have to increase your budget significantly if you want anything approaching the performance you are looking for.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS