Question Getting better internet speed?

saitamas

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
So I don’t know if this is the right place to be asking this, but my google search didn’t seem to help me with this info. I’ve been recently trying to upgrade my internet speeds because it is really slow. I understand I have to just get a better plan from my internet provider. However, I always see advertisements about these “gaming” routers. Does upgrading your router also give you better speed? I thought your speed/bandwidth was like entirely based on the internet plan you purchase.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
A "gaming router" has the word gaming in it, for exactly this situation.
To convince people that it is somehow faster and better.

It is not.

Better speed relies on what you pay the ISP for, and how your actual PC is connected to the router.

m-mag

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Does upgrading your router also give you better speed?
Short answer: No
Long answer: Maybe. Check your current plan with your ISP and check that your modem/router is supporting that. I assume you're xDSL?

If your plan is a > 24mbps plan and it's a VDSL plan, your ADSL modem will pick up the signal but at 24mbps (however high your speed agreed with the ISP may be) because that's the maximum standard for ADSL.

Second, I don't know what kind of gaming you're doing. Normal MMPORG? Things like streaming? Stadia? For normal gaming, I believe a reasonable speed is enough. What matters more is the latency, packet loss, jitter, etc. Which is basically the quality of the line and the network itself (ISP's network, home network: WiFi? Cable?)

I would say try to monitor the games that you play: If the ping is high or jitters or there's loss: first, check the quality of your line (copper landline, in house wiring, etc.) If you're on fibre optics to the cabinet the most likely the rest of the cable which is coming from the cabinet to your house has a problem. Check your SNR and Line attenuation.

Well I'm not an expert on modems but I know some modems affect the SNR and latency (some modems may be better at picking bad signal more than others) but I believe phone line quality and a call to your ISP will give us a lot of answers and narrowing down.

Edit: Also note that if you have a bad quality line you'd need to fix that first before upgrading your speed. As with a higher speed your SNR will go lower and maybe you'd lose sync at all.

kanewolf

Titan
So I don’t know if this is the right place to be asking this, but my google search didn’t seem to help me with this info. I’ve been recently trying to upgrade my internet speeds because it is really slow. I understand I have to just get a better plan from my internet provider. However, I always see advertisements about these “gaming” routers. Does upgrading your router also give you better speed? I thought your speed/bandwidth was like entirely based on the internet plan you purchase.
First thing to do is check your bill. What speeds are you paying for. Then with a wired connection to your router, use one of the speedtest websites. Are you getting what you pay for?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS